A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

107Xth Conversation chez Lil

Post 3661

Titania (gone for lunch)

Once I accidentally bought 400 mg pills instead of 200 mg of the variety named Ipren here in Sweden. The 200 mg is recommended a maximum of six per day (one every fourth hour) and the 400 mg four per day (every sixth hour) so you'd think the effect would last at *least for six hours. Well, it only lasted barely around five hours. Not good when you're having period pains, so I had to exceed the recommended dose.

And yet, when you talk to a pharmacist about this phenomenon, they insist that the effect should last twice as long. Even one of my friends who studied to become a pharmacist until she discovered she's allergic to certain substancies insists that it is so *logically but, for some reason, it doesn't work that way in RL.

Not to mention that it isn't only the 'active' substance that has an effect - two different brands with exactly the same amount of active substance may have very different effects on you depending of what *other substances are involved.

Post 3662

Spaceechik, Typomancer

That's tyhe thing aout using generic medications...most of the testing was done originally with the 'brand' name, and the secoondary ingredients are often not exactly the same. I have an app on my iPod, called Medscape, with is pretty helpful; under adverse reactions and warnings, it gives a rough percentage of how many people in the trial got which side effects, and which side effects are likely to intereact with others meds you're taking. If I recall, it was a free app, mainly aimed at medical personnel but like having the PDR in your pocket.

Post 3663

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Just checked -- Medscape is free, in both the iTunes (for iPhone and iPad) and in Google Play, only it's called Medscape Mobile there...

I know, "shut up, SC!" smiley - winkeye

Post 3664

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Mornin All smiley - biggrin

Preens in the mirror and runs his beak through the mohair to ensure it is correctly combed; hmm handsome wee devil.

Watch that Ibuprofen, I had been taking it for years for my various joint pains and was aware of the risk of a stomach bleed, but what I didn't know and was a bit peed of with my GP for not telling me was at my advanced age of 60 plus I should have been taking a PPI, Protein Pump Inhibitor. You do NOT want a perforated peptic ulcer, trust me, and that was caused by taking Ibuprofen on an empty stomach.

Not nice those nedoscopes are they Phil, but the team was very professional and the good news was the ulcer has gone.

Now taking Paracetamol.

Post 3665

Cool, the WA has just invented a new medical instrument, tara the Nedascope for detecting Neds where ever they might occur.

Endoscope, top endoscope, not the other endoscope smiley - erm

Post 3666

Bagpuss

[Bagpuss]

Post 3667

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Morning all.

Post 3668

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

An unsettled morning on the hall. It suddenly filled up with tall firemen responding to a heart attack call that seems to have been made in error; the patient was indeed taken to hospital with problems, but not heart problems. The firemen weren't pleased.

My room mate has tried to leave the premises twice already this morning. She is wearing a "wander guard" bracelet, so the staff recovered her before she went too far, but she is very confused, and now the sister is here, babysitting. Yesterday evening she actually forgot that her dinner was in front of her, and lay down after a few bites.

And I've only had about 3 hours sleep, although you could say it was my fault. It took me several hours to realize that my sense of discomfort was due to the fact that my legs hadn't been properly arranged -- I finally reached down and felt around to see where they were. I called a different CNA, who did the job right, but by that time it was 4 am. smiley - erm

Post 3669

Titania (gone for lunch)

You know, if it's one thing I really feel greatful of, it's having two funtional legs. I get reminded of it each and every day and yet, I never stop appreciating them.

smiley - hug for Lil

Post 3670

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Too much potential for hassles in hospital, hope you're out soon, Lil.. smiley - hug

WA, please do not mention the Otherend-0scope, I have date with one of those the end of this week. smiley - yikes

Post 3671

Mornin All smiley - biggrin

smiley - hug Lil hope you got a better night's slepp.

Best of luck with the endoscope Spacechik, at least it's over quickly. When they fixed my bleeding with an endoscope, Mrs WA's cousin, a retired surgeon, phoned me to see how I was doing. "I love endoscopes" he said, "before them we would open you up from stem to stern, fix whatever was wrong and then put everything back in, but it never seemed to all go back in the way it came out."

Post 3672

Pastey

Were we moving today?

Post 3673

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Well, yes, but it was only 7:30am for our hostess when you askedsmiley - winkeye

Post 3674

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

F38024?thread=8296487

Clean cups! Clean cups! smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post