A Conversation for Croquet

Text only... Grr.

Post 1

Ioreth (on hiatus)

If there were a diagram maybe I would understand... smiley - smiley

Text only... Grr.

Post 2

Lou

You've got to face it, croquet is incomprehensible, even with a diagram. The easiest way is to make up the rules as you go along (penalties if ball becomes completely lost in flowerbeds or if your opponents need to be hospitalised due to use of metal hoops as offensive weapons) and threaten anybody who disagrees with the large and potentially very dangerous mallets provided. Despite the fact that it's mainly played by geriatrics in pristine whites it has to be one of the most competitive and high risk sports known to man...

Text only... Grr.

Post 3

$u$

Geriatrics in pristine whites?

I would would have thought that's the very reason WHY it is so dangerous.smiley - winkeye

~A~

PS Welcome to h2g2 Lou of Robinson.smiley - smiley

Text only... Grr.

Post 4

Demon Drawer

As a player of that other sport which allegedly is played by geriatrics in whites. I may take offence.

DD (Bowler) smiley - smiley

Text only... Grr.

Post 5

Lou

No! Not cricket! Please not cricket! Anything but cricket!

Text only... Grr.

Post 6

Lou

*goes to DD's page and looks embarrassed* No, not cricket in fact. *I'll just hide under this stone. . .*

Text only... Grr.

Post 7

Demon Drawer

No offence taken Lou. smiley - smiley

Text only... Grr.

Post 8

razzle

Okay, so maybe this conversation was a long time ago, but I've only just discovered h2g2, so here goes...

As a keen croquet player (and not a geriatric!) I'd love to see some more discussion on this...

If you're in need of a diagram, or the association rules, take a look at www.oxfordcroquet.com and use the menu on the right to find out how to play.

Having said that, and despite me being picky about teh rules, one of the joys of croquet is that it really can be played in any reasonably sized garden and with local rules...smiley - smiley

Razzle

Text only... Grr.

Post 9

Purple People Eater

we play it in the back garden of my parents house only it's less interesting now as they've had the dips and bumps flattened out of the lawn

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Croquet

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more