A Conversation for Ironing

Ironing

Post 1

shenerd

Is pants!

Ironing

Post 2

Nhi Vanye i Chya

Actually, more correct to say that ironing is not only pants, but towels, blankets, trousers, and carefully-folded hankies too...

Ironing

Post 3

Miss Gunn

I beg to differ with some of the details of this article. I have found that ironing is not only prosperous with fabric, but also works very nicely with grilled cheese and final papers for university.

Ironing

Post 4

Nhi Vanye i Chya

Actually, I can confirm that - an acquaintance of mine uses an iron to
transfer circuit designs onto copper for making his own printed circuit
boards... so yes, Miss Gunn is absolutely correct!

Ironing

Post 5

Nhi Vanye i Chya

(I should add, Miss Gunn... do you happen to have one of your scrumptious iron-toasted cheese toasties about? Ta! ;o) )

Ironing

Post 6

Peta

Ironing is a totally pointless activity, invented in the late 1800's, by the members of the species who have penises.

"Ironing" involves dragging a large hot heavy metal triangle over pieces of fabric for several hours at a time. This is an activity almost exclusively carried out by a non-penis bearing sub-sector of the species, on the instigation of those with penises.

Ironing

Post 7

Miss Gunn

Sorry... No grilled cheese with me, besides, a companion of mine has my iron.
However, I have another companion, this one liquid, named Jameson who expressed the wish to meet you.

Ironing

Post 8

Doug Dastardly

It does provide an explaination for those people who turn up for work wearing a shirt encrusted with melted foodstuffs.

Ironing

Post 9

Cheerful Dragon

The need for ironing can largely be circumvented by careful selection of your partner's shirts (and yours, for that matter). Choice of easy-care poly-cotton or polyester shirts gets rid of the need for ironin, especially if washed and dried carefully. As far as I'm concerned towels, hankies and underwear don't need ironing. T-shirts are casual wear, so by definition shouldn't be ironed.

The reasons why men don't iron (and why they do go in for other things that annoy us women) are explored in a book called 'Why men don't iron' by Anne and Bill Moir. I don't agree with everything they have to say, but it's a thought provoking book and has made me a bit more tolerant of male foibles. Mind you, having spent all my working life in a male dominated environment, I was already pretty tolerant of them.

Ironing

Post 10

Researcher 45377

I have found in my younger days (just after I left University and got a job) that Ironing was a
weekly 1 1/2 waste of time. Later it became so boring and familiar that ironing brought
me to an almost Zen state of calm. Then about 4 years ago Marks and Spencers (UK Department store)
began to sell non-iron shirts. Exactly the same as the usual variety and old 20% more expensive
they eliminated the need for ironing. Then 2 years ago I formed an IT Start Up and now where
clothes which have not only not been ironed but frequently not washed either.

Ironing

Post 11

CZ

Y'know its a bit of a sweeping generalisation to claim that men don't iron. It's a bit like saying that women don't break wind, when in fact they would rather not but are forced to acquiesce to the neccessities of nature.

In truth this ironing thing is nothing like women breaking wind and the above is an altogether poorly thought out argument designed to:

A: Point out that some of us DO iron

C: What happened to B?

and

B: Ah, there it is.

Ironing

Post 12

Doug Dastardly

I commute to work in the morning so by the time I get to London my shirts are lacking that freshly ironed crisp look anyway. The non-iron shirts, while not quite up to "interview" standard are more than adequate! Especially when all I seem to do when I get to work is roll up my sleves and start grovelling around at the back of out IT cupboard!

Ironing

Post 13

shazzPRME

May I suggest that careful selection of your partner would also not go amiss!!

Ironing

Post 14

CZ

It would seem, Shazz, that you are not familiar with the 'higher' functions of the male brain. Men tend to prefer a COLLECTION than a SELECTION when it comes to a partner.

In truth, either would be a start.

Ironing

Post 15

shazzPRME

well if you can support a selection good luck to you!!But will you ever get your boxers ironed...too many cooks etc smiley - smiley

Ironing

Post 16

CZ

Well Shazz, the opportunity to support a selection would be refreshing. very interested in this idea of cooking boxer shorts though. I think there may be some mileage in that or it could be time for my Perception Pill........... dunno....

Ironing

Post 17

shazzPRME

Cotton cooks well...but the best are definately silk ones smiley - smiley They melt really nicely...like cheese smiley - winkeye

Ironing

Post 18

CZ

Cheese eh?

If I'm entirely honest you are beginning to scare me a bit and probably most of the other contributors too!!!!

If you would like to continue the discussion I would be happy to do so at
[email protected]

Ironing

Post 19

shazzPRME

Well I do apologise if you are scared.I would offer to wash your underwear for you (it sounds as if it needs it) but I suspect that it would have been removed from the parcel by hungry sniffer dogs before it arrived! ps...this is meant as a joke..absolutely no sarcasm intended smiley - smiley

Ironing

Post 20

CZ

Can't ..think....of witty reply.

Barely adequate....psychic....defences....crumbling....under ....barrage of....clever retorts aaaaaarrrrrgh (is that how one spells Aaaaarrrgh?)

Key: Complain about this post