A Conversation for Horse Riding - a Beginner's Guide

Inner thighs

Post 1

BluesSlider

"Once you become more proficient at riding, it is important that you do not keep your weight on your posterior, but try to hold yourself up with the inner thighs while pushing against the stirrups. This is accomplished with inward pressure."

Funny, I've always been taught to open the pelvis and knees and use my seat for control.

Inner thighs

Post 2

FordsTowel

Interesting! Another school of thought on the subject!

Do you suggest this for beginners, or just the more experienced??

smiley - towel

Inner thighs

Post 3

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Hi smiley - smiley

Really, the main aim (as I'm taught) is to relax... One shouldn't grip with the knees, the legs should be relaxed. This way you are not blocking the horse's movement and energy through it's back and have better control. You can make a nicely schooled horse stand from a walk by tightening your thighs and buttocks... When you are well used to riding you can feel the horse's back move under the saddle (muscular moevemnts), so it follows that his animal that can feel a fly land on its body, and move that specific piece of skin to remove it, should be quite sensitive to your movement on it's back.

Essentially, a beginner should concentrate on balance and relaxation... That'll keep you on top more than any amount of gripping unless your ankles can interlock under it's belly!

Inner thighs

Post 4

FordsTowel

Hey there RH!

Now that would be one long-legged rider (or a very skinny pony)!

Are you certain that you haven't been riding Great Danes?? smiley - biggrin

smiley - towel

Inner thighs

Post 5

Well, I dont know, I have very short legs so I've never been lucky enough to even try smiley - smiley

Havent been riding in weeks smiley - wah It's driving me mad!

Inner thighs

Post 6

FordsTowel

I have to presume, then, that you are riding someone else's horse!?

My sympathy on not have recent opportunities. Myself, I haven't been riding for a couple of decades. It just hasn't been something I could arrange. (boo hoo; sniff)

Good luck to you, though. I hope your saddle-sore in no time! smiley - winkeye

smiley - towel

Inner thighs

Post 7

A week saturday with any luck smiley - smiley

yeah, I ride at a stables, lessons smiley - smiley I've been ill and had car troubles and so on... just one thing after another!

Inner thighs

Post 8

FordsTowel

The 'one thing...' I certainly can empathise with!

With me, it's just work, family, and priorities (plus distance and cost, of course).

Have a great time, and don't get too near the loco weed!smiley - ok

smiley - towel

Inner thighs

Post 9

the loco weed?

Inner thighs

Post 10

FordsTowel

I learned the expression from American Western Movies smiley - doh

Apparently, there are some scrubby bushes that have an ability to make horses act sort of crazy if ingested.

smiley - towel

Inner thighs

Post 11

I seee..... not something I suspect we'll come into contact much in the english countryside. Flapping bags, rabbits and pigs to make ur horse crazy, yeah, but not weeds...

Inner thighs

Post 12

FordsTowel

I remember riding one horse that I thought was exhibiting that kind of phenomenon. It was a very large, very white horse that seemed to have just two gates: at rest and Hold On!

smiley - towel

Inner thighs

Post 13

Ah... a classic case of 'equus-ohmygod!!!'

Key: Complain about this post