A Conversation for Predicting the Future

Time, the Universe, and Everything(else of minor importance)

Post 1

Ardonis

smiley - fish

My Prediction about the Future is this:

Everything we say about the future won't come true! Therefore, when I say we won't invent a means of quick, easy inter-stellar travel, we will! And when I say that computers will never at any point in time advance past the range of using electrons to transmit data, they will! And when I say this topic will end, it won't!

That's all I have to say about that,
Ardonis

smiley - fish

Post 2

Chris Mannion

Ok, you say that everything, that's EVERYTHING, we say about the future won't come true then doesn't this mean that your prediction that everything we say won't come true, won't come true. Which means that some of the things we've said will come true, but if this includes your prediction, which it surely must seeing as the prediction was drawn from it, then non of the things we've said will come true. Not even you prediction and so at least some of the things we've said will come true, necessarily includinge your prediction that nothing here will come true, not even your prediction.

I feel dizzy, I think I'll just go and throw up on that man's nice shoes.

Oh one other thing, the other two points you made, the computers and interstellar travel (although I know at least three women and a popular lager beer called Stella and aren't particularly eager to speed up travel between any of them). You said that they both would and wouldn't happen, "when I say they won't then they will", which means according to your prediction they will still both happen and not happen. Together. At the same time.

Sorry, but it was a pretty major gap in your argument there. smiley - winkeye

Post 3

w85

So if the things he said were going to be not true, are true, then the things that are true aren't true and the things he predicted are true are not true after all. Or something...

So if i predict that the entire world is of imminant danger of being eaten by a angry mutant star goat. It wont be true but it will all the same because since he said that the thing he said weren't true had to be true after all and, we will be eaten. But seeing how he said that the things we predict weren't coming true, but you said they were going to after all but that wasen't true because his prediction was right...

I wish you wouldn't start so complicated discutionssmiley - sadface

Post 4

Strider

*walks in contained in a cloud of melange gas*

We're dealing here not only with time, but also space. Now watch as I fold space to be here and there at the same time. Watch carefully! See! Now wasn't that educational? As long as we're happening and not happening, we might as well be in a really cool place while it happens (or dosn't). "Where do you want to go today?"

*throws up from the dizzying dialog and too much melange gas*

Hop on, we're going to Millyways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post 5

Ardonis

smiley - fish
You guys see now, that's my point! Our very existence is one huge paradox! Oh, and, by the way, I know a little too much about Linear Displacement and Gravitational well theories, and I tend to support them.
smiley - fish

Post 6

Strider

Ardonis:

I think you've gone to the Gravitational well once too often! I do well just to support myself, let alone, linear displacement.

*looks around*

Now, where is that wierding module? I had it a second ago.

Post 7

Ardonis

No no no no no, you misunderstand my purpose in that statement! I was just trying to confuse a whole bunch of idiots that don't belong heresmiley - smiley

Post 8

Strider

You may have been trying to be confusing. I was merely trying to be funny.

"Tell me of your home world, Usel."

bye,
Strider

Post 9

IMSoP - Safely transferred to the 5th (or 6th?) h2g2 login system

This all reminds me of my favourite (deceptive in it's simplicity) paradox...
In it's simplest form it is just this:
"This sentence is false"
The paradox being that if the sentence is true, then it is false,in which case it is true, in which case it is false...
smiley - fish
Another form is writing on a piece of card "The statement on the other side of this card is false", and on the other side: "The statement on the other side of this card is true"
Hand it to someone and tell them to work out which is true...
I like the idea of being able to hand someone a paradox...
smiley - fish
Oh, and what was that about people who shouldn't be here? Sounds very rude to me!
smiley - fish

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more