A Conversation for 20 Childraising rules

Very good..

Post 21

Wand'rin star

Ok-rule 21 added (actually I thought it was too obvious to need inclusion and is much more serious than the others) "Try very hard not to hit your children for any reason. Even if they forget, you will suffer guilt for the rest of your life" I agree with Joanna,though - I don't think it's an area for government interference. I'm assuming we're not talking about raising a bruise here.

Very good..

Post 22

GVM

How about never stirke your or anyone elses child.

Very good..

Post 23

Wand'rin star

Striking someone else's child is a criminal offence where I come from and much too serious for what I meant to be light-hearted childraising advice.

Very good..

Post 24

adabsurdum

In Germany we had a strong debate in the last 3 years about whether it should
be forbidden to rape your wife or not. Lots of conservatives argued in the way
above, that the state should not interfere in family affairs. But a crime remains a crime,
even if the victim is a relative. Striking children is a crime, but only if they aren't yours. Silly, isn't it ?

Very good..

Post 25

adabsurdum

In Germany we had a strong debate in the last 3 years about whether it should
be forbidden to rape your wife or not. Lots of conservatives argued in the way
above, that the state should not interfere in family affairs. But a crime remains a crime,
even and espescially if the victim is a relative. Striking children is a crime in germany,
but only if they aren't yours. Silly, isn't it ?

Very good..

Post 26

Wand'rin star

Yes, but I think your equation is a good example of reducto ad absurdam.

Very good..

Post 27

Is mise Duncan

It is also against the law to park in a hospital A&E entrance. This too has nothing to do with the thread. Mad, isn't it?

Very good..

Post 28

Sho - employed again!

There is a difference between striking a child with a smart tap on the bum/leg to get their attention as they step off the curb into the path of a speeding BMW (in our village the speed limit is 30kph, do you think anyone adheres to that?) and beating them senseless for no reason.

you'll note that it is only parents who administer a slap (and who knows what the child had been doing in the previous hours to lead up to that?) who are approached by "do gooders". The ones who beat up their children are too scary to mix with...

I've noticed that children's behaviour over here in Germany (well, it's a sweeping statement, but why not?) is something I don't accept in my two children: who are to all intents and purposes German. I put it down to the Anti-authoritarian upbringings. No doubt it works for some kids, but boundaries are what works for kids.

If the smack on the legs in the above scenario is what it takes to get Gruesome #2's attention, then a smack on the legs is what she will get.

and no doubt any passing Polizei will arrest me and not the speeding car who will be too far away by then. Possibly mowing down a kid in the next village.

But I digress....

I was sent here (I remember reading this long long ago) by a friend (or two) as we went on an h2g2 nostalgia trip.

Excellent entry!

Very good..

Post 29

Is mise Duncan

Just checking in to show that I'm still here...smiley - smiley

Very good..

Post 30

Sho - employed again!

you may still be here, but where is your spear?
I miss that...

Very good..

Post 31

Is mise Duncan

<>====uuu====<

Key: Complain about this post