A Conversation for The Tibetan Greenhouse Dugout

Ginkgo the rushes-ho

Post 1

YinYang

Hello, it's me!
I want to bring my very favourite tree to grow and rest undisturbed by bonzai fanatics. It's the Ginkgo, and while individual specimens generally reach their peak by the time they're around seventy, the species itself has been around for - wait for it - 250 million years! It is the oldest species of any living tree, and is in fact a conifer, though it is better known as the maidenhair tree, due to its fan-shaped leaves. These turn the most rich and vibrant shade of yellow in the autumn, and then they drop, creating a pool of sunshine around the base of the trunk. Big respect for the Ginkgo, I say! It's native habitat is Chekiang, in China, but let's not hold that against it. Needless to say, I have one in my garden, here in France, and we chat most days. Trees are wonderful, non-judgemental listeners. It was while I was mulling things over, with my tree, that I had two wonderful thoughts, planted in my mind, which might very well flourish and grow in your Sacred Space, JtG.
Many times I have despaired of how little I feel I am actually doing in the Big Plan, to Make a Difference. I meditate, I teach Feng Shui and T'ai Chi and run a home. I try to live for the moment, and leave people with a favourable impression of themselves and perhaps, me too. So I am a busy person, me with my children and husband and menagerie, and my time is filled with duties, but I often wish I could do more, like these wonderful Rinpoches, or prominent people who can move mountains due to social clout.Then, a small voice spoke to me and said 'Don't you see, that you are fulfilling the life given to you? Maybe your task in this life is to do exactly what you are doing. Maybe some of these Rinpoches and prominent people occasionally yearn for a life like yours! So you may think your life would be better spent in prayer, meditation and quiet contemplation, but who'll stoke the fires, if you're not here? Who will get the girls to school, and support them on their journey? Smile, and fulfil your days, for they are the Universe's gift to you; fleeting they may be, good and bad, but always precious - like you!'
Thank you, tree!smiley - smiley
My second thought was advice I gave to my dear eldest daughter Pippa (Doughnut)who is struggling to find her place in her new French school, and finding it very hard. She is only sixteen, and can't be expected to know what she's going to be doing the rest of her life, surely!? In her words:
"If my life were a day, it would still be 4am! Go away, I'm asleep!!"smiley - smiley
I compared her struggle to her trying to swim upstream, in a fast-flowing river, to reach a destination not too far away. But she is floundering and finding the effort too great. So I suggested perhaps she allow the current to carry her down, until she reaches a bank and can climb out to walk. The journey may take her longer, because she is now further away, but it will be much easier, and she'll get there just the same, with less of a struggle.
Sometimes it pays to let Life take you the way it knows best, and instead of frantically trying to be THERE and be there NOW,take the longer route and the longer time. It may take a lifetime, but serenity will have been your travelling companion.
Love and no late winter frosts,
YinYang

Ginkgo the rushes-ho

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks very much for this friend YinYang.smiley - smiley Those are good thoughts, worthy of an ancient tree or a venerable Rinpoche, and I will find them a favourable spot on the benches. I was thinking about the stream analogy: salmon may be wise, they are noted for it by many groups; but I think most people would be better served by following the trout's example, by not fighting the stream all the time, staying out of the current when you don't need to be in it, and enjoying the shelter of a good rock or the shade of a nice bank. It seems to me that all-in-all a trout sees more of the stream than a manic salmon does.smiley - smiley

JTG

Ginkgo the rushes-ho

Post 3

Bluebottle

BTW - there should be more oak trees.

Ginkgo the rushes-ho

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thankyou another time.Now we have a Gingko on our benches...

http://www.H2G2.com/A237881?section=Ginkgo+the+rushes-hosmiley - smiley

JTG

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more