This is the Message Centre for Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hi, Mikey!

Post 41

Evil Zombie Strider

I'm well, thank you. Say, I want to become a volunteer eventually, but I'm not sure how long I should wait (for experience's sake) before I volunteer. What do you think? Also, which volunteer job would be the best one to start out on? Any advice would be appreciated. smiley - smiley

-Strider smiley - footprints

Hi, Mikey!

Post 42

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hmmm... from your page it looks like you've been around for what, 2 weeks?

Personally, I think 2-3 months is a decent amount of time -- by then a person is more familiar with how the site works, with the unique netiquette of the site, and has a better idea of what being a volunteer involves. On the other hand, if you're on h2g2 quite a bit, you might feel ready after one month.

If you want to be a scout or a subeditor, I think it is *incredibly* valuable to a) critique entries in peer review (which you seem to have gotten started on -- good job!), and b) submit one of their own entries to peer review, and revise/rework in response to the feedback until it's accepted. I think those who have been through that end of the experience are able to be better scouts and subeds than they would otherwise.

As far as which volunteer position to start on, it depends on your interests and how much time you have.

If Peer Review is what really interests you, I'd suggest becoming a scout. The minimum time requirements aren't that bad -- you could theoretically do a scout's duties in 3 hours a month, but most people seem to spend a least 10/month, if not more. After you've done that for awhile, you might think about becoming a sub-editor -- it's definitely more work, but you seem to have good writing skills and might be quite good at it.

If you like being helpful and answering questions, then you might consider being an ACE or a Guru. The ACEs help out newbies and try to keep the community spirits up, the Guru's answer calls for help from all sectors (lots of techie questions, but I also answer lots of ones about writing, copyright, and the editorial process).

Hope this helps some -- let me know if you have any other questions.

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Hi, Mikey!

Post 43

Evil Zombie Strider

Thanks Mikey. That was exactly the answer that I was looking for. smiley - ok If I have any more questions, I'll ask.

-Strider smiley - footprints

Hi, Mikey!

Post 44

J'au-æmne

Hi, Mikey! I just wanted to drop you a note to say...

Which entries would you like me to edit? I can copy the code and start soon...

Hi, Mikey!

Post 45

So, here's the link to the project page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A537635

I have done "An Introduction to Programming" and am working on "How the CPU reads a program" and will do "Algorithms" next.

If you could work on any or all of these:

* An Introduction to Programming: Variables
* An Introduction to Programming: Variable Manipulation
* An Introduction to Programming: Syntax and Compilation
* An Introduction to Programming: Conditional Statements
* An Introduction to Programming: Loops

it would be amazingly helpful.

Thanks!
Mikey

Hi, Mikey!

Post 46

J'au-æmne

Okay smiley - smiley I'll let you know as each one is done.

Hi, Mikey!

Post 47

a girl called Ben

Hi, Mikey! I just wanted to drop you a note to say... Hi

Not very imaginitive just to say 'Hi' I know but I wanted to find out how you are doing. I've been thinking about you off and on during the last few days.

Take care, d'ya hear?

Ben
[email protected]

Hi, Mikey!

Post 48

Hi, Ben! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by RL at the moment, but it looks like that should hopefully pass by Sunday or so. Hopefully.

How have you been doing?

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Hi, Mikey!

Post 49

a girl called Ben

I'm fine thanks, though my RL looks like it will get a little overwhelming from Sunday onwards!

Just wanted to check you out, because things have been quite on the email front for a while.

I know 7rob7 wants to take another look at the Arbiter scheme in the New Year. Will you be committed to other things, or do you want to join in the 'fun' on that one again?

Take care

Ben

No Subject

Post 50

DLPanther

Hi, Mikey! I just wanted to drop you a note to say... Moof!

Hi, Mikey!

Post 51

LhasaUbuntu, motivational waterer, pimento bounty hunter

Hi, Mikey! I just wanted to drop you a note to say...Wow, looks like you've been a busy lad. I'm just cruising around - a quiet midnight in Ottawa and figured I might as well say hello to someone. Apparently I chose the right space. I'm quite new to h2g2 and am really enjoying everything about it - I can't wait to improve my space as yours looks great so I've got something to shoot for. Well, I'm going to finish this as I think the most reasonable thing to do next is read some of your articles.

Ubuntu and the percussive feline.

Hi, Mikey!

Post 52

Jimi X

Hi, Mikey! I just wanted to drop you a note to say 'hello'.

That being done...

smiley - cheers

- Jimi X

Hi, Mikey!

Post 53

manda1111

Just passing and thought I would say Hellow (and pinch some of your codes)smiley - ok

Linkinator

Post 54

Catwoman

Hi, Mikey! I just wanted to drop you a note to say...
what is a Linkinator?

Linkinator

Post 55

Jimi X

smiley - laugh

Linkinator

Post 56

Hey there Catwoman! (And I see you smirking in the corner, Jimi X).

I was dubbed the linkinator at one point because some considered me to be... a little overzealous when it came to adding links into the pages I was subediting.

I don't do real subediting anymore, but I still help update some of the older entries -- mostly by going through and adding in lots of links to newer entries!

smiley - winkeye
Mikey

Linkinator

Post 57

Catwoman

Why is there not a ?

I understand the concept, though, where there is an article that happens to mention smiley - towels, and automatically requires a link to the towel page, even though it has npthing to do with it.
It does make the six degrees of h2g2 separation theory reduce to about three.

Hi, Mikey!

Post 58

Saturnine

Hi, Mikey! I just wanted to drop you a note to say...I've never seen you online before, but I'm top poster on here right now, and I assume you have seen me. I'm off to bed now, being that it is 4:30am. I randomly clicked on your name, and I thought it would be rude not to say goodnight! Goodnight!

Hi, Mikey!

Post 59

Nope, don't think I remember seeing you around before today. Looks like we usually post in different places though -- h2g2 can be like that. smiley - smiley Anyways, I followed the conversations on your page to the PR thread on the Tamora Pierce book and added in my 2 cents.

Thanks for stopping by!

smiley - cheers
Mikey

Hi, Mikey!

Post 60

Saturnine

T'was my pleasure!

Key: Complain about this post