A Conversation for Hobbits

Shocked, really.

Post 1

Sprax23

I'm surprised the editors would actually choose such a crazy subject for an actual official guide entry. They really did alter the format of it to make it more serious. Ah well, I can't complain; it's my first article ever approved for anything, which I'm proud of, and must be a step it the right direction. A somewhat clumsy, misguided, and weary step, but a step nonetheless.

Shocked, really.

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

A big step for you and a giant leap for Hobbits smiley - bigeyes

The $450 million dollar movie trilogy version of Lord Of The Rings is currently being shot in New Zealand.

Shooting news and Hobbit sightings can be found here

http://www.theonering.net/

Shocked, really.

Post 3

Smiley Ben

Basically the thinking is that subjects like Dragons (and Hobbits) are well enough established mythical creatures that an entry would be of value. We're not really taking entries on totally invented creatures which don't have a basis in current literature...

Shocked, really.

Post 4

Glaws

Like Donkeys?

Shocked, really.

Post 5

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

so like, does that mean that dragons are 'partially invented'????

I'm not sure I like the implications of that.

Makes me want to keep pinching myself to make sure the partial part is really real.

*ouch*

*oooh*

*ouch, ouch, OUCH*

}:=8

Shocked, really.

Post 6

Researcher 93445

Is it too much to ask that approved entries actually be run through a spell-checker some time before they're posted as such?

Signed,
A. Curmudgeon.

PS - "communities"

Shocked, really.

Post 7

Flying pigs, white elephants, exploding sheep, pink panthers?

Shocked, really.

Post 8

Glaws

Why not Donkeys?

Shocked, really.

Post 9

Would that be real, partially, or completely invented donkeys?

Shocked, really.

Post 10

And where does that leave the honourable ass?

Not to mention the yeti, abominable snowman, nessie

Shocked, really.

Post 11

and about those exploding sheep...

is that like 'popcorn sheep'???
[you know, like 'popcorn shrimp']

sorta eat 'em like a bedtime snack?

*smack, drool*

Shocked, really.

Post 12

Exploding sheep will be one of the first signs of the impending apocalypse.

Another sign will be mint sauce bottles floating in the world's oceans

Shocked, really.

Post 13

Glaws

How about we make the front third of the donkey real, the middle only partially real, but lets face it the ass is invented!

Shocked, really.

Post 14

And where does Eeyore [and his tail] fit into the grand scheme of things???

Shocked, really.

Post 15

Glaws

Eeyore, Eeyore, Eeyorlways gets left out!

Shocked, really.

Post 16

John Q. Public

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm deeply disturbed by the graphic of the hybrid green hobbit in this entry...

Shocked, really.

Post 17

The following description was located at
http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~bouvin/tolkien/hobbitears.html

Tolkien described Bilbo thusly for purposes of illustration in a letter to Houghton Mifflin (c. 1938):
"I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit as some of my British reviewers seem to fancy: fattish in the stomach, shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown). The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown hairy fur. Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat; brown or green jacket; gold (or brass) buttons; a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf)."

hmmmmm...
Well, his feet could be a little more hairy [dunno about the spats, if that's what they are--maybe those are socks under the spats???], his ears don't really show so you can't tell if they are pointy, his hair could be a little more brownish, but it's plenty short and curly, the waistcoat is sorta yellow/gold. But I think he looks like a fattish, shortish, jovial, fairly human figure. Looks like Bilbo to me...
smiley - smiley

blu

Shocked, really.

Post 18

Researcher 93445

Put me down on the side of those who think it's a poor image. It perpetuates the notion that hobbits are somehow "cute". Go back to LORD OF THE RINGS and read about Meriadoc and Peregrin leading the Shire in cleaning out Sharky's men, or about Samwise carrying Frodo up the slopes of Mount Doom, or about Meriadoc stabbing the Nazgul. Then come back and try to convince me that they're cute. Shortish and fattish does not mean "roly-poly and cuddly."

Cute hobbits???

Post 19

Well, I see your point, but, the rendering is a cartoonish kinda drawing and it is real hard to make cartoonish things 'not-cute'. The critters in Wind-in-the-Willows were not 'xactly cute in my mind either, but then Walt Disney did that cartoon and ZAP--everybody's 'cute'.

When I think of hobbits, I think of elvish folk in the sense that they are not-quite-human but with some similar characteristics. [there is that 'elvish ears' part]

He may not be exactly 'cute' but if I was a hobbit-child I would want to crawl into his lap and listen to stories. [I think he would smell of wool-tweeds and tobacco]. In my mind, he would be 'cuddly' in that sense--not like a stuffed animal!!! AAACCCCK!!!!

One of the charms about hobbits, and Bilbo in particular is that he WAS a jovial kinda roundish person, but still capable of heroic feats. Sorta an everyman...er...everyhobbit????

smiley - smiley

blu

Cute hobbits???

Post 20

Researcher MrMondayMorning

Ah so we should write an article on the grim reaper or on satan.
A cute-grim-reaper or a cute-satan thats something I'm looking forward to.

Key: Complain about this post