A Conversation for Hobbits

Most Famous of Hobbits...

Post 1

Apollo

Of all the Hobbits in Tolkien's works, there were two that garnered much popularity. Bilbo Baggins, the central character of "The Hobbit", and Frodo Baggins, the central character of "The Lord of the Rings". The history of both of these hobbits revolves around the discovery and quest to destroy the Ring. Bilbo discovered the Ring while on a journey, and it seemed a small matter at the time. Aside from the curiousity of making the wearer disappear, it was unremarkable. Bilbo used the Ring in his journeys, which took him and a party of dwarves to the Lonely Mountain to destroy the dragon, Smaug. He then returns home and settles down for many years. Frodo then inherits the Ring, discovers it is the One Ring of the evil Sauron, and embarks on a quest to Rivendell. With him go three of his Hobbit friends...Sam Gamgee, Peregrin Took, and Meriadoc Brandybuck. Once in Rivendell, a great council decides that the Ring must be destroyed, and Frodo agrees to bear it to the fires or Orodruin in the heart of Sauron's realm. Frodo passes through many strange lands in his journeys, and is eventually seperated from his entire group, except for the loyal Sam. Frodo and Sam pass into Sauron's land and eventually cast the Ring in the fire, where it is destroyed. This ends the tyranny of Sauron and makes Frodo the most famous Hobbit in history. Frodo returns home, where he lives for many years, before passing over the ocean with Bilbo to Valinor, land of the Elves.

Post 2

Tilly - back in mauve

Oh, so he's originally named Bilbo Baggins? I've wondered about that, when I saw the Norwegian translation on "The Hobbit", where he's called Bilbo Lommelun. (That really don't make any sense, when "Lommelun" on Norwegian really means "warm-pocket"!)

Don't you hate those dumb translations?

Post 3

Gorthaur

Tolkien initially used a different name for Frodo when he was writing the books, the name he chose was Bingo. Personally I prefer the name Frodo.

Post 4

Perfect Prefect

I find it interesting to note the conflict Tolkien has when dealing with the two very separate character groups in the novels. On the one hand, you can sense very strongly the yearning he has for this age of heroism and purity (obviously represented by the elves) and on the other, the affection for the simple rusticism of the hobbits. One offered a romantic view of life without boundaries to creativity, achievement, love and so on, whilst on the other the hobbits show how the inevitable decay (Tolkien's word) of human stock from the Numenorean can be offset by appreciation of life's simple and unchanging pleasures. Notwithstanding the fact that Sam, Pippin et al allow some much-needed comic relief while surrounded by all these ancient lords and ladies.

Sorry if this is a bit dry, but I'd welcome any debate on the subject...

Post 5

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

That's exactly why "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" have been so much more successful than the posthumous "Silmarillion" which lacks the comic relief and warmth of the other two works. For some reason, 20th (sorry, 21st now) century man can identify with these odd little creatures a lot more than with the haughty characters created to be the "men" of the piece.

Post 6

Cadi Merchionamercheluned

Don't forget that Pippin and Merry, to give them their common names, became famous too, in their own way. If you read the introduction to "The Lord of the Rings" you will find that the famous 'Bullroarer' (four foot five and could ride a horse) was surpassed by "only two others" in stature, and those two, I conclude, were the Hobbits who partook of Trebeard's Ent-draughts.

On a personal note, I've always liked Sam best. Like the Baggins' there's more to him than meets the eye, but he never changes. He is the epitomy of Tolkein's hobbit ideal - brave, loyal and, although not clever, very wise in what matters.

Post 7

TheMyriadWhoHasLongDaysAndShortNights

You're right about Sam - and it is very gratifying when he defeats the monstrous spider Shelob.

Post 8

Little_Washu

its interesting how the humans are portrayed as such brutish beasts consumed completely by desires and lusts- they are almost as impure as the enemy they fight. Wheras even the dwarves, crude and boisterous, are more noble. Says something doesent it?
It shows how western thought tends to condemn itself, even as it recognizes its own flaws.
however, the elves seem to be drawn with an almost Japanese sense of honor...

Post 9

Child of Saunola

In swedish he is called Bilbo Bagger and Frodo is also a Bagger ofcourse....
But I like Sam the most...
smiley - elf

Post 10

Rod, Keeper of Pointless and/or funny discussions or statements

You seem to forget Aragorn and the Dunadain when you talk about humans. I think the represent the other side of humans for Tolkien. Honorable, wise and trough hardship getting what is theirs. It shows that there is still hope for them if only they stay true to their cause. Or so I'm willing to believe...

Rod

Post 11

Child of Saunola

Well....I Think you are right..,.

Post 12

Cybercat

I loved Frodo........he was always a fav

Post 13

Shosh

In my next life I hope I find a world of Hobbits, elves and men. And, that Gandalf is my mentor.

Post 14

Cybercat

I look like Arwen

Post 15

Nate

Do You?

Post 16

Cybercat

According to my friend Suzanne