A Conversation for Insults

Comments

Post 1

WowbaggerTIP

This is one hell of an article!!!

Comments

Post 2

Wowbagger

Thank you. I thought that you might like it. Been in approval limbo for a while now.

Comments

Post 3

WowbaggerTIP

The limbo is a terrible place. Almost all of my articles are there right now.

My defenestration article was just accepted. And guess what??? They've CRUCIFIED it!!! They've burnt out the jokes, torn out anything that bore my personal stamp... it's a crime! It's atrocious! It's just not acceptable!

Comments

Post 4

Wowbagger

Looks like an editor's been at mine too. He's put in the Shakespeare quotes and re formatted things a bit. Actually I like the changes in mine.

Comments

Post 5

WowbaggerTIP

Did the ed actually cut anything out, though?

Comments

Post 6

msmonsy

i must say the artical is quite good smiley - smiley
never thought about an insult article so you get points in my book for originality smiley - smiley
monsy smiley - fish

Comments

Post 7

Wowbagger

Nothing actually cut, though a few of my sentences have been tightened up a little.

Thanks Monsy. I thought an article on insults would suit the Wowbagger persona. smiley - smiley

Comments

Post 8

msmonsy

and so it does smiley - smiley fits it to a tee smiley - winkeye
monsy smiley - fish

Yay!

Post 9

Wowbagger

Amazing that we've started talking about this little column of mine, but I've just recieved word that it's been accepted! I've finally had something published!!! smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley

Hurrah! Drinks all round.

Yay!

Post 10

msmonsy

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!!! that is FANTASTIC!!!! could not of happened to a better traveller!!!!!! smiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyes
monsy smiley - fish

Yay!

Post 11

beeline

Superb article - great stuff! smiley - smiley

My favourite double-comeback was Clive Anderson's, when interviewing Jeffrey Archer. There was even the added bonus of an audience!

Anderson: Is there no beginning to your talents?
Archer: Ah, Clive, the old ones are the best.
Anderson: Yes - I've read your books.

Naturally, the audience went nuts!

Yay!

Post 12

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

All Hail the Mighty Clive, surpassed by no one.

Yay!

Post 13

WowbaggerTIP

Except perhaps Anne Widdicombe........?

Yay!

Post 14

WowbaggerTIP

Monsy, how do you make all the new emoticons? The skull, the dead fish etc, etc?

Yay!

Post 15

msmonsy

hehe!! wish i could take credit for it but h2g2 powers that be have given us a fantabulous halloween gift smiley - smileysmiley - winkeyesmiley - bigeyessmiley - sadfacesmiley - fish
aint' they neat!!??!! smiley - bigeyes
monsy smiley - fish

Yay!

Post 16

msmonsy

oops...forgot to point out that you just use the same things to make these that you did to make the others only they will come out like this for halloween smiley - smiley
monsy smiley - fish

Yay!

Post 17

Wowbagger

Clive James is definitely one of the kings of the backhanded insult.

Though more and more he seems to be aiming this at himself - I had to stop watching his 'Postcards...' series, because all he'd do is say how out of place he looked in these places - When he went around the world he'd complain that he didn't fit in, even when he was in Britian. Finally he got to his 'home' town of Sydney and then he felt he was no longer a part of Australian culture.

A fine example of self depreciation/insulting taken too far!

Yay!

Post 18

WowbaggerTIP

Clive James can be a bit of a prat: some of stuff is really good, some is just simply unfunny.

Comments

Post 19

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Myself, I thought the Shakespeare quotes were a little out of place...they didn't match up with the types of insults being discussed.

Comments

Post 20

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Oh yea? Well...

'Go, prick thy face, and over-red thy fear, Thou lily-liver'd boy.'

... I liked 'em.

smiley - winkeye

JTG

Key: Complain about this post