A Conversation for The GuideML Clinic

Skins?

Post 1

Sol

Sorry, I know nothing. What is a skin?

Skins?

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

A "skin" is h2g2 shorthard for the appearance you have chosen for the site. There was originally only one choice. This was "Classic Goo," which was graphics-heavy but very nice to look at. After feedback from site users, a second was created. This new skin is called "Alabaster." It is a clean, simple design that isn't quite as pretty, but includes a few more useful buttons.

If you are a new user at h2g2, you are using Alabaster skin right now. You can check out Classic Goo to see which you prefer by clicking on the "Preferences" button at the top of your screen. If you find you still like Alabaster best, you can always change back to it. You will find that some folks at h2g2 (especially those who have been here are very long time) have a strong preference for one or the other.

Skins?

Post 3

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

You can also temporarily view a page in the alternate skin if you wish by adding ?skin=classic or ?skin=alabaster to the address (works for home spaces and guide entries). Sometimes you run across a home space that was designed by the user so that it really only works well in one skin or the other and it can be useful to see it the other way.

For example, your home space address with skin specified:

http://www.h2g2.com/U138596?skin=classic
http://www.h2g2.com/U138596?skin=alabaster

Skins?

Post 4

Sol

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. I'll give it a go.

Skins?

Post 5

Sol

Oooooo. I like this!

Skins?

Post 6

HappyDude

Good isn't it! smiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more