A Conversation for The GuideML Clinic

Any chance of off-line GuideML

Post 21

Bruce

The html comment delimiter will hide javascript from a non javascript enabled browser

<!--
javascript stuff
-->

;^)#

Post 22

Researcher 93445

Quick question: is there any way to use GuideML in forum replies (like this one)? Or is it just for home pages & entries?

Post 23

Bruce

GuideML works only in user pages & entries - basically text only in forums (except for automatic smileys & linked urls)

;^)#

Post 24

Researcher 93445

OK, I'm daffy. If you'd like to look at a VERY beta version of a GuideML editor for Windows, look here: http://www.h2g2.com/A207596 .

Bruce, if you think this is good enough to mention elsewhere feel free.

Windows users only, alas.

Post 25

Bruce

Woooo whoooo!
I've downloaded it & it runs!smiley - smiley

I'll give it a bit of a test & let you know how I go.

ta muchly
;^)#

Post 26

Researcher 93445

Dunno when exactly you grabbed it...I got up to version 0.2.0 before I came to my senses and went to bed last night. It now supports subjheads & pullquotes & pictures too. I dunno how much further I'm gonna push this (I need to get some paying work done!) but it was fun to do that much. And I think it's good enough for my own entries already. But stay tuned...

Windows Only?

Post 27

Nick O`Teen

Oh, phooey. I guess there's just no pleasing some people. smiley - smiley Good thing H2G2 doesn't use relative URL's, don't you think? smiley - smiley

Windows Only?

Post 28

Researcher 93445

Alas, sorry...all of my programming expertise at the moment is on the Windows platform. Hopefully if this becomes a popular utility someone will be inspired to do the same for other platforms.

Windows Only?

Post 29

Nick O`Teen

You wouldn't happen to have any idea as to what the heck happened to h2g2 yesterday, would you? The server stopped responding for rather a long time (hours).

Windows Only?

Post 30

Bruce

I don't know what happened - though I think it would be fair to guess it was something prety ugly. I'd be surprised if there isn't some sort of announcement on the front page once the h2g2 working week starts though.

;^)#

Windows Only?

Post 31

Nick O`Teen

I took the time out to render my browser utterly inoperable. It's taken me hours to get it working again. Linux can really suck sometimes. smiley - smiley

Post 32

The Cow

Yes, I do that, but how do you get a Javascript browser to ignore something that a non-Javascript browser won't? I think it's

Put the HTML for non-JavaScript here,
<!--
JavaScript code
-->

but I'm not sure.

Post 33

Bryce

If that doesn't work, you could have the JavaScript hide it. Wrap it in a and have the JavaScript hide the whole .

Then, though, you have to worry about the invisibility syntax for various browsers. But if you're catering specifically to JavaScript-capable browsers anyway, maybe a little browser-specific code wouldn't bother you too much.

Post 34

The Cow

I get what you mean... like the about:connectionfailed in IE.

Key: Complain about this post