This is the Message Centre for Ormondroyd

My bid to escape from the Jobcentre

Post 1

Ormondroyd

I should start this Journal Entry with a confession. My Personal Space describes me as a student at the University of Bradford, and that is perfectly true: I've taken ten University modules and acquired 160 credits towards a degree over the past two years. However, during that time I have officially been a part-time student, even though I've sometimes been doing at least as many modules as the full-timers. I have been surviving by signing on and claiming Jobseekers Allowance and Housing Benefit.

Well, all of that is hopefully about to change. As a result of the marks I've obtained as a part-timer, I have been invited by the University to apply to switch to a full-time BA degree in Interdisciplinary Human Studies, a fascinating-sounding course that takes in English, sociology, politics and philosophy.

The Uni's timing has been immaculate. Their suggestion has arrived just in time to offer me the hope of escape from spending six months on one of the Department of Work & Pensions' New Deal schemes, under which the claimant is offered the unappealing choice of going on a full-time training course for three months and then on to a work placement of someone else's choosing, or simply doing six months of work placement. Either option also involves large doses of a cruel and unusual punishment known as supervised jobsearch, in which the unfortunate subject is patronised, hectored and bullied in an effort to get them to apply for and accept any sort of work. The last time I endured this process, I had one of the creeps in charge trying to convince me that I should apply for a job as a road sweeper, since 'any job is better than no job'. This is not a notion with which I have much sympathy, for very good reasons. It is six and a half years since I left my last long-term employment, and the counsellor I see once a week tells me that I still display the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of doing that job.

So it's the full-time student life for me, subject to my transfer being accepted by the tutor in charge of the Interdisciplinary Human Studies course when he gets back from holiday. It's a leap into the unknown: I'll have to discover all the intricacies of the funding schemes available to mature students, and I'll doubtless be running up some debt. I'm hoping to start with the second year of the three-year course, since the modules I've already taken should be relevant enough to replace the first year of my new course; but this too has yet to be confirmed.

The main thing, though, is that I'm really excited by the prospect of doing the student thing properly, in a University I've come to love. I formally applied to the course today, and I'm trying to stay calm until I get the letter officially confirming my acceptance; but the people I've already spoken to at the University have been very encouraging. smiley - dontpanic I have an average essay mark of 71.2% and a reference from a senior lecturer to support my application.

Hopefully, some time soon, I'll be doing some serious celebrating, saying a fond goodbye to my dear friends at the Jobcentre, and then beginning a frantic scramble to get alternative funding arrangements in place. And then a whole new smiley - earth of experience will hopefully open up for me.

Post 2

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

Sounds absolutely brilliant Ormy. I love hearing when someone finds their niche.

Have you dared to think about what you'd like to do as a career once you have your degree?

And on a completely different note, are you ever going to bring back your column? Remember it was my inspiration!smiley - smooch

Post 3

Bagpuss

Good luck with that, Ormy. Averaging a first surely can't hurt your chances of getting in.

I was on the dole for a while. Not much fun.

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - goodluckOrmysmiley - cheerupsmiley - hug

smiley - galaxy *is currently signing on/Job Centre interviews every three months*

Post 5

GreyDesk

This is excellent news. Brilliant smiley - biggrin

And anything to get away from the clutches of the Job Centre is always a good thing. I've been having all manner of problems with them in the last few months.

Post 6

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Well done, Orm! smiley - ok

Post 7

Lighthousegirl - back on board

Ormy - this is really exciting and no less than you deserve!

smiley - bubbly Congratulations smiley - kiss

Post 8

Menza

Good luck Ormy smiley - smiley

Post 9

Phil

Well done Mate smiley - biggrin
I hope it goes as well for you as your part time studies have gone so far smiley - smiley

Post 10

Number Six

Huzzah! smiley - ok

smiley - mod

Post 11

JinjerTom

I have only ever signed on once - 22 years ago when I first left 6th form college, 'cos that's what I was told I should do whilst looking for a job.

It was the most depressing, degrading experience of my life, having to declare that I had not done any other work and feeling that I would be committing a crime if I did earn a few extra pennies.

There are many genuine reasons for being out of work (my sister has clinical depression), but they are over-shadowed by those who work the system, thereby tarring all UB40's with the same brush and causing the DWP to force people to look for any kind of work.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience in your previous employment Ormy and hope you do superbly in your course and get yourself on a rewarding career path.

Good Luck

JTsmiley - cat

Post 12

Ormondroyd

smiley - ta to all for the good wishes. smiley - smiley

Congratulations, though appreciated, are perhaps a little premature: official confirmation of my full-time place at Uni has not yet been received, and there is some doubt about whether all the credits I've done are compatible with the degree I'd like to do. That said, if there is a problem then there's a catch-all degree called Combined Studies that I could probably do instead. Meanwhile, I have a meeting next Tuesday to try to work out the financial arrangements.

JinjerTom, you have hit on the secondary reason why I want to do this: I am so frustrated by the dole regulations that make it impossible to do work that pays, but only irregularly. The former profession of mine that drove me nuts was journalism, and while I don't want to do it full-time again, I could probably earn a few quid freelancing. But when I got £70 for a couple of pieces in an online magazine and declared it, they didn't just stop my Jobseekers money for that week (which was what I was expecting) - they viewed it as a 'change of circumstance' and cancelled my claim for Housing Benefit, forcing me to make a new claim and wait three months for my rent money. Fortunately, my landlord was OK about it.

I have two talents through which I might be able to make a bit of money occasionally: writing and acting. I am looking forward to being able to see how far I can go in these fields without fear of being busted by the Benefit Fraud people.

Sorry to hear that you've been getting grief from your Jobcentre, GD - how have they been mistreating you?

Pearl: I am waiting to see if I get to do my degree first before thinking about exactly what I might do at the end of it, but I was thinking about the general area of arts administration... if I don't get to be a famous actor or writer first. smiley - winkeye I am touched that anyone remembers my smiley - thepost column, but I don't think I'll be reviving it as I'm going to need to concentrate on coursework and paid work. However, you may well get to see some of my writings elsewhere once I'm free to freelance. smiley - ok

Post 13

GreyDesk

In my case, it's that they can't deal with the fact that I do odds and ends of consultancy work. They don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that whilst I might be very well paid for the work, I have no control over how much I'll be offered or when. As a result I've been paid practically no JSA in the last few months.

The Council on the other hand couldn't have been sweeter: "You've lost your job Sir? Oh how terrible. No no, don't pay us any Council Tax. Drop us a line when you're working again, and you will sort out your bill after that."

Post 14

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

Can I add my on the subjects of jobs?

Only no-one will give me one because I'm a student, and if they get round that I don't hear from them once I've filled in the application form because I have been in hospital in the last year and I do take medication for a condition.

Which is A) discrimination and B)smiley - bleeping unfair because Crohn's disease doesn't even slightly inhibit my ability to work.

As you lot are clearly a bit more experienced in the world of work, have you got any tips?

Meanwhile: If,sorry, WHEN I get into the Performing Arts profession I'll give you a job Ormy!

Post 15

Ormondroyd

smiley - ta for the tentative job offer, Pearl! smiley - winkeye If it's any consolation, I certainly know some students who've managed to get part-time jobs, so it can be done.

GD: yes, that sounds like much the same problem that I've had with my journalism. You earn a one-off fee for a single piece of work. At the Jobcsntre you explain, very clearly, that it is a one-off payment and *not* a new job paying regular wages. And they go 'Oooh! smiley - boing Change of circumstances! What a great opportunity to stop all this person's money!' And three months later, you're trying to explain to your landlord why the rent hasn't been coming through. smiley - steam

Can I just admit at this point that I'm feeling very anxious about my situation? I really do want to get away from the Jobcentre and absolutely do not want to do another six months on New Deal. But I am more than a little worried about cutting off what has, in recent times, been my one reliable source of money. smiley - erm

Post 16

smiley - hug I think my money problems pale in comparison to yours. I've just read bits of this conversation to my Mum and she sympathises and is in agreement that this New Deal is more like Raw Deal.

The reason why I worry is because although at the moment my parents willingly support me, I am trying to enter a profession where work is notoriously difficult to get. If I can't get shop assistant or waitressing work now, I worry that I won't be able to get it when the breadline hovers closer.

Post 17

sargogabbo

I am so glad you have found your way. You have been courageous in the face of so much. Not easy moving back to ya home town and trying to find a new start.Your contribution to this website is much appreciated.
What star sign would you be Ormy?

Post 18

Ormondroyd

smiley - ta very much, sargogabbo. smiley - ok

The simple answer to your question is that I'm a Pisces.
smiley - hsifsmiley - fish

But if you'd like more detail, Asteroid Lil kindly created this chart for me: http://www.asterlil.com/astro/ormy.htmsmiley - starsmiley - planet

Post 19

sargogabbo

I'm a Pisces too. March 1960. Pisces ain't so bad as you get older I find. I'll dream away the hours myself. I'll read a book and next minute I'm a chracter IN the book. Incredible imagination and grandiosity. I was in the grip of Bacchus for many years with the flights of fantasy and euphoria. I gave that away 6yrs ago and it was the most difficult thing I had to do in me life. Now its just so much better.

Key: Complain about this post