A Conversation for BB NaJoPoMo

That's a Wrap!

Post 1

Bluebottle

I keep hearing about 'the first rap song' for some reason. So far this week I've read in Peer Review that the first hip hop rap song in the UK's charts was 'Christmas Rapping' (1982). I've also been told that the first rap song was 'Rapture' by Blondie (1980), 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' by Bob Dylan (1965) and even that the first rap artists were Gilbert & Sullivan who popularised the Victorian Patter Song, for example 'I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General' (1879) (!)

While some of us might consider that last one a little far-fetched, one thing I am sure we can all agree on is that rap music hit perfection with 'Wham Rap! (Enjoy What You Do)', the debut single by Wham! (1982).

And to think that all this time when I've been singing 'I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General' and believing I'm indulging in light operetta, what I've really been doing is some steampunk rappin'.

<BB<

That's a Wrap!

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl I'm trying to remember, but there was a science fiction story in the '60s or '70s telling about a street singer who sang the news that sounded like rap...

That's a Wrap!

Post 3

Bluebottle

Sounds like a town crier to me:

Three o'clock and all's well!
Past three o'clock, on a cold frosty morning,
Past three o'clock - Good morrow, masters all!

<BB<

That's a Wrap!

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

It's three o'clock on a frosty mornin',
Stay chill, homies, there ain't no reason for me to be warning,
All is well! (Word.)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more