A Conversation for New h2g2 Feedback

Long time loading

Post 1

woofti aka groovy gravy

When I'm in my Journal, and I click on My Space, it takes forever for the page to load.

I live in South Africa.
Browser: Firefox

This happened as soon as we broke away from the BBC. I have waited for it to get better, but it hasn't, hence this message.

I hope you can help.

Thanks.

Long time loading

Post 2

Z

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know. We have something planned very very soon which will hope will resolve this.

Does this only happen when you click on a link from your space, or whenever you click on another link on h2g2?

Long time loading

Post 3

woofti aka groovy gravy

The only problem appears to happen when I am in my Journal and click on My Space. Other links appear to work fine. smiley - ta

Long time loading

Post 4

woofti aka groovy gravy

Last winter the convector heaters in my flat didn't work. They tripped the fuse at the box. So I called out an electrician today, as it's getting cooler in the run-up to winter. And they worked. It was annoying and slightly embarrassing. (They charged R250 labour even though they hadn't done anything.)

This slow-loading problem from my Journal to My Space has affected me every single day since the move. I waited until today to report it.

Now that I've reported it - it seems to have resolved itself.

I will post here again if it happens again.

Long time loading

Post 5

Peanut

Woofti

Is it different depending on the time of day? It just that I know you post regulary in the mornings, which can be slow

Long time loading

Post 6

Pastey

Heya, I've kicked the server a bit to hopefully help a little.

The problem is, we think, that the cache clearing takes up too much database access, and when it's running other things suffer a little.

We've got a major roll out planed shortly, which should hopefully solve all this.

Long time loading

Post 7

woofti aka groovy gravy

It seems to have cleared up the moment I raised the issue!

It has been a very, very weird day today. I will be glad when it's over.

It hasn't been any different throughout the day... as I say it's better now. Will post here again if it gets worse.

Thanks.

Long time loading

Post 8

woofti aka groovy gravy

Thanks Pastey.

smiley - towel

Long time loading

Post 9

woofti aka groovy gravy

Forgive this foray into cut 'n' pasting. I wrote this over at the BBC. It might give you an insight into the sort of day I've had and why what happened today was extremely weird...

The beers have worked together with some medicine to relax me tonight. Sometimes you have to self-medicate. It's been an incredibly stressful and quite a weird day with not one, but two major strange events. No, make that three. Plus a fourth stressful one.

I had a significant encounter with someone who cursed me in the morning.

I had several phone calls where I was trying not to lose my temper with the bank with whom I was a little heated although never rude, and I apologised afterwards. In the end I got satisfaction. I think they are having ISP issues. Their emails weren't getting through to me and it was a case of potential cheque fraud. In the end it turned out to be a cheque I'd written several weeks ago but he had only now banked it. I had forgotten about it. But it was tense as things seemed to be conspiring, in a bleak, Kafkaesque way, against my being able to access a jpeg of the cheque, in order to ascertain whether I'd written it or not, while during the curiously interrupted proceedings the fraudster could be getting away over the Mozambique border...! In the end the delightfully named Rachel Raphiri (not her real name) sent me an email that took over an hour to reach me. It was some work I had done a while ago.

The heaters worked and I got ripped off and made a regrettably strong message in their book, which I should just have left, but I felt mocked in my own home somehow. They literally didn't have to do anything. There was no fault. They just stood by the electricity board while I switched some heaters on, and watched nothing happening.

Then I posted a bug report in hootoo about a bug that's been happening every day without fail ever since h2g2 moved from the BBC. It's been a hanging page load that's been bugging me for months. So today, because I was in a contrary mood, I decided to do something about it and post a bug report, so I wrote a notice about it on the h2g2 bug report pages. Never done this before. Entirely new territory.

As soon as I posted the bug report (and got an excellently swift response from On High, even the Most High) - the problem cleared up. There hasn't been a problem since. The very moment I posted the bug report.

As this is the Mental Health thread you will forgive me for asking: Why did I have such a very strange day today? And what did it all mean?

God tells me I don't deserve the curse, so it won't rest on me. But today was extremely weird.

Have to be up by 8 tomorrow, the housekeeper is coming.

woof x

Long time loading

Post 10

woofti aka groovy gravy

Long time loading again this morning. In FF 11.0, the wheel goes round anti-clockwise for a long time.

Long time loading

Post 11

woofti aka groovy gravy

OK, this morning (just now) I tried to get to this thread from My Conversations, and I couldn't. Timed out. Then suddenly it got better.

Cheers.

Long time loading

Post 12

Peanut

Woofti, if it is any comfort this is not just happening to you.

I find it difficult to get around especially in the mornings, it is very hit and miss

Long time loading

Post 13

woofti aka groovy gravy

Thanks Peanut. At the moment (12.38pm UK time) it is fine. Then suddenly it goes awry and takes forever. I hope they can fix it.

I wonder where the thread is to made requests? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Long time loading

Post 14

Pastey

Hi peeps,

We do know about this one, and we hope it'll be fixed with Pliny.

The problem is because the older Ripley skins are storing an awful lot of cached versions of the pages, and when we run some code to clear them out, the server gets very busy.

The code is set to run twice a day, we picked the quietest times, but unfortunately it's getting worse to the point where it's now finishing clearing out not long before it's due to start again.

Pliny doesn't cache in the same way, so we shouldn't get this problem so much.

Long time loading

Post 15

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

So, it's meeting itself coming back?

Where's the smiley - tardis when we need it? smiley - biggrin

lil x

Long time loading

Post 16

woofti aka groovy gravy

Is this the elder or the younger Pliny?

We need to know.

Key: Complain about this post