Post 1

kentucklz

Entry: Cheap Survival In New York - A4450583
Author: kentucklz - U1706631

Cheap New York Survival

A4450583 - Cheap Survival In New York

Post 2

Phred Firecloud

Great guide. I also have found that there are many eating establishments in NY where they are quite slow to clear the tables. One can often walk in and find good bits to eat left by the prior customer. Also, a delicious tomato soup can often be concocted with a glass of hot water and the ketchup packets available from fast food establishments.

smiley - fish Phred smiley - hsif

Post 3

Secretly Not Here Any More

At least to my eyes, this is EXACTLY the sort of guide entry people should be submitting. I especially like the bit about scamming a free drink!

Bit of work, this should make the guide. I hope.

Post 4

kentucklz

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate the response.

Post 5

Secretly Not Here Any More

I'll just give this a quick nudge to the top in the hope that other people will read and comment on this.

Psyc.

Post 6

Kat - From H2G2

I've had a quick scan through this and the general idea of the entry looks very good smiley - ok

I'll read this properly this evening. Don't worry about the lack of response at the moment. A LOT of people are on holiday so Peer Review is rather quieter than usual. It doesn't mean that nobody is interested in your entry though, I promise.

One thing I shall say before I rush off to catch a train is a small GuideML point just to keep you busy.
Instead of using the tag, you need to be using and , the paragraph tag. This keeps everything neat and means you don't have to keep writing every time you want to start a new paragraph.
So take out all the 's and slot instead:

New York City can be an expensive town, as most people know. However, this does not have to be the case. There are many ways to travel, eat, and enjoy yourself in New York that won't disembowel your wallet.

Eating

etc etc. smiley - ok

Kat

Post 7

FordsTowel

I, too, am impressed with the entry. I do believe that this is the sort of thing that would have DNA screaming, Zarking Hoopy Entry you cool frood, spot on!

However, your readers (once in NYC), will want to know that they spell it Deli there, not delhi.

Oh, minor things:
-------------------
Lunch

There are more street vendors than can possibly be counted in New York, and these are your lunch tickets. The food sold at these convenient little shops ranges from hotdogs to the occasional curry. Other notable wares are kebabs, steak wraps(somewhat more pricey), and an assortment of sodas and juices. The key here is to not buy your beverage at the vendor, a fast food restaurant will give you a 21 ounce cup of water for the low, low price of nothing. The actual price of the food the vendors sell is greatly varied and should be investigated throughtout your travels. The average price of a free water and street vendor meal, 3-4 dollars.
----------------
Extra space after 'steak wraps', and the spelling of 'throughout'.

Now, if you will also suggest cheap accomodations for staying overnight? Don't stop at the obvious cardboard boxes and underpasses. Perhaps movie theatre balconies or bowling establishment locker rooms. You may know some. I admit that I haven't a clue.

smiley - towel

Post 8

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Nice Entry kentucklz smiley - smiley

A few nitpicks and typos, to give you something to do. smiley - biggrin

While you're deleting the s and inserting the s as Kat suggested, you could change all your GuideML tags to capitals, although they work in lowercase, it is standard for Peer Review Entries to use caps. smiley - oksmiley - smiley

However, words in the text, in all caps such as "WALK" and "REALLY" should not be in caps, Bold or Italic are ususally used instead. smiley - smiley

Where you have used(brackets) you need to insert a space before the opening (bracket). smiley - smiley

>"a bagel could be as uncostly as 25 cents" ~~> uncostly? Is there such a word, maybe say 'cheap'

>"investigated throughtout your travels" ~~> throughout

>"it may be benificial to hold" ~~> beneficial

>"fan of chinese food" ~~> Chinese (smiley - erm I think)

>"other assorted topings wrapped" ~~> toppings

>""fill your own drink"" ~~> 'single quotes' rather than "double quotes"

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Post 9

kentucklz

Thanks for the input everyone, I believe I took care of everything, if you have anymore imput, please tell me, I am always looking to improve my entries. smiley - ok

Post 10

kentucklz

As to not look like a complete moron, If you have any more iNput please express it.

Post 11

baldeagle072

Something that I think should be added is about overnight stuff. Somone mentioned it above and I did not see it in the article. Its just a great idea. Otherwise, smashing article. Good luck with getting it in the guide.smiley - ok

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - cheerssmiley - musicalnote

Post 12

Kat - From H2G2

Where can I buy a bagel? And is the tube really that expensive? And...what else was I going to ask about? overnighting, where can I change money for the cheapest? Ummm....oh! What tourist attractions are free?

Post 13

Cyzaki

New York only seems expensive if you're not from the UK. If you come from even the cheapest parts of the UK, New York seems quite cheap (or at least it did when I was there last summer).

smiley - panda

Post 14

kentucklz

As far as overnight accomodations go, I will get to reasearching them as soon as I can, work is drawing time away from the important things, like smiley - ale and smiley - bubbly so I hope to get to adding this info soon.

Post 15

KB

In an entry like this, how to get drunk on a limited budget is always a popular addition! smiley - laugh

Are there any tips you can think of?

Post 16

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

smiley - erm Buy a bottle of cheap plonk and drink it from a straw, which you can get free from fast food places. smiley - biggrin Only being semi-serious, though apparently you do get drunk easier by drinking from a straw. smiley - erm

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Post 17

Kat - From H2G2

It's because the drink continues to be aerated as it is taken into your mouth and the alcohol goes through the roof of your mouth to your brain instead of slowly through your digestion etc. Also using a straw in a bottle means that you can drink in one continuous gulp instead of getting suckered to the bottle.

However I don't think I would advise putting all of that in the entry smiley - laugh

Post 18

Kyra

"time square" should be Times Square

Great article!

Post 19

KB

I was thinking along the lines of happy hours in pubs, etc. Or, maybe wine-tasting where you pay a flat rate but the wine is free. I noticed in the US that a barman will often give you a free small glass of beer if it's one you want to sample. If you're *really* strapped for cash, I suppose you could go bar to bar, buying a pint in each and getting a lot of freebies on the way.

I have to say though, that's too much bother even for my stinginess and love of beer to warrant!

Post 20

Cyzaki

Dunno if it'd work in the US, but in France one of my friends went to a supermarket to buy some wine, and asked someone who worked there to help her as she knew nothing about wine, and she got about 4 glasses of wine in total (made up of small samples of different wines, not all mixed together...) to help her choose smiley - tongueout

smiley - panda

Key: Complain about this post