A Conversation for New Zealand

New Zealand

Post 21

Mustapha

I must admit, I prefer the one-dayers, not just because it's more active, it's also more colourful. The traditional whites may have a class-nullifying effect, but it helps if you know which guys you're supposed to root for.

I'll also concede that cricket becomes exponentially more boring when the team you're supporting is losing (and losing badly). Conversely it's actually more exciting when it's an equal match, right down to the wire stuff. The best games I've seen are the ones where there are only two balls left, and four runs are needed to win.

New Zealand

Post 22

aPerson, An Angelastic (and alliterative) Acronymaniac

Is it the actual cricket which people are interested in, or would they be just as happy with a slowly updating line graph of scores? (I think I'd probably prefer the graph, but that's just me)

New Zealand

Post 23

Mustapha

Well, I can't speak for other cricketing nations, but NZ has had a particular affection for the "worm" graph, vis-a-vis the 96 elections.

New Zealand

Post 24

Keeza

Which is probably because it's very hard to draw a straight line with a mouse....worms and elections - now is this a Freudian slip given the common denominator of "politicians" [ aka slimy things ]? smiley - winkeye

New Zealand

Post 25

Mustapha

Mice are kind of hard to draw with, they keep biting and struggling when you dip 'em in the ink. Worms aren't much better, they just get soggy.

An invite to Kiwis

Post 26

Keeza

Hey guys....I'm trying to get a role call of Kiwis on h2g2...why? - well the Aussies have done it so that's usually enough to get us motivated and also I think there are more of us around than people think...and in the footsteps of Sir Ed..."cause it's there" [ well he didn't say it but we are known to be good at impossible things ] ...so if you would all very nicely pop in on my patch sometime I'll add you to the list aka The Kiwi Contingent.
Thank you and look forward to seeing you smiley - smiley

Millennium westie baby

Post 27

Has anyone noticed that the first baby born in the new millennium is a westie? Ewen Gilmour will be so pleased...

Millennium westie baby

Post 28

Keeza

Hey don't knock Westies...excuse me but who is Ewen Gilmour?...god - i have got to get out more ! smiley - smiley

Millennium westie baby

Post 29

I'm not knocking westies!

Gilmour is a westie commedian, you might have seen his 'north-by-westie' tour on TV. A taped thingy of him was in the millennium TV coverage too talking about how he looked like Jesus. I could tell you more about what he said but I won't because I can't be bothered at the moment.

Millennium westie baby

Post 30

Mustapha

Ooh, I can!!!

Starts talking about how Jesus has become a swearword, and what they used in its place 2000 yrs ago.

"Who knows, 2000 yrs ago Ewan Gilmour might have been a swearword. You lose your wallet [improvising here], EWAN GILMOUR! You hit your thumb with a hammer, EWAN DAVID GILMOUR!

"2000 yrs ago, women in the throes of passion might have screamed out EWAN GILMOUR!

"And 2000 yrs later, they still do."

Millennium westie baby

Post 31

Keeza

LOL, somehow I would doubt it....having left the West before it was known as " the West" seems I was fortunate on missing out on the infamous EG as well...

Millennium westie baby

Post 32

Mustapha

Actually, EG is one of NZ's better standup comics, having the distinct advantage of actually being funny.

Millennium westie baby

Post 33

Keeza

Then I will definitely make an effort to actually get to hear some of his stuff....as for crying out his name in the ultimate moment - somehow I don't think the other half would appreciate the humour smiley - winkeye

Millennium westie baby

Post 34

Okay, I can be bothered now... he was saying how a lot of people think he looks like Jesus, so he replied that yeah, 'cause Jesus probably wore a leather jacket and drunk beer. Then he hypothesised that maybe a lot of people thought Jesus looked like Ewan (I always thought it was Ewan but I thought I saw it say 'Ewen' on the TV... maybe I'll just call him EG) Gilmour, and Jesus would have said that EG was going to wear a loincloth and drink wine. Then he got into the bit which was mentioned before.

New Zealand

Post 35

Researcher 234398

hells bells! this is the first time ive heard anyone else in uk know what footrot flats is!

Key: Complain about this post