This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

More Urban Myths Debunked: Meteor Showers, Pah!

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Okay, it's a holiday over here. And I'm mental.

Here's today's rant: A87783457

Help fight the menace of superstition. Ignore those falling rocks. smiley - run

Post 2

Researcher 14993127

Now come on, you know full well meteors are in fact rocks sucked up in Tornados and dumped back down again. smiley - spacesmiley - rolleyes
Blimey, you'll be telling me next the world ain't flat.smiley - spacesmiley - whistle

smiley - cat

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

<>

smiley - erm

*smiley - run to scratch her latest draft - Interview with grey friend of Eric Goring*

smiley - snowballGB

Post 4

KB

The voice of truth, at last!

And don't even get me started on the "hailstone" brigade. Not content with rocks falling from space, they would have us believe that there are frequent bombardments of some kind of...petrified water! smiley - weird

Post 5

That's right! One member of the police force (no surprise there) actually referred to the Stuff as 'frozen PRE-cip'. smiley - whistle

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

od'on! they ain't rockssmiley - laugh

we built them for war
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/gloucester-meteor-plane

smiley - winkeye

Roswell weather balloons and or rocks from space HA! can't tell the difference eh!smiley - biggrin

smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Icy North

I can cope with the polarised argument about rocks falling from the sky, but tell me this, Dmitri. Where do you stand on frogs?

Post 8

Willem

I'm honestly hoping Dmitri does NOT, EVER stand on any frogs.

Post 9

Vip

smiley - snork

Post 10

smiley - rofl I have deep and abiding respect for frogs, why do you ask?

Oh, does it ever rain frogs? smiley - eureka

Of course it does. And blood. (It's the Gobi Desert.) And fishes. And, occasionally, toilets from outer space...smiley - run

Post 11

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyeI'm glad there's 22 mile between ussmiley - whistle

Post 12

Icy North

This is where I stand on frogs:

http://www.cheap-perfume.co.uk/online_store/aroma-home-fuzzy-friends-frog-slippers.cfm

Post 13

smiley - snork I shall now imagine Icy North at home, wearing his frog slippers and doing the crossword puzzle. smiley - run

Post 14

s'ok Kermit! they don't mean it reallysmiley - biggrin

Post 15

It isn't easy being green.

Post 16

Icy North

I actually have a research file going called 'frog falls', and I was planning to write the guide entry one day. Like most of my research files, however, I don't really have enough material to write something definitive. Maybe I'll put it in the Post one day smiley - smiley

Here's a sample from somewhere on the web (June 2005):

Thousands of tiny frogs rained on a town in north-western Serbia, Belgrade daily Blic reported on Tuesday.

Strong winds brought storm clouds over Odzaci, 120km north-west of Belgrade, on Sunday afternoon, but instead of rain, down came the tiny amphibians, witnesses said.

"I saw countless frogs fall from the sky," said Odzaci resident Aleksandar Ciric.

The frogs, different from those usually seen in the area, survived the fall and hopped around in search of water.

Belgrade climatologist Slavisa Ignjatovic described the phenomenon as "not very unusual".

smiley - biggrin

Post 17

http://www.oddee.com/item_97047.aspx

any use ? smiley - smiley

Post 18

smiley - rofl Maybe it's not unusual in Belgrade. I think they'd blink in Cluj.

smiley - ok I'd love to have that as an article. Or see it as a Guide Entry, with reference to Charles Hoy Fort. smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Icy North

I'd like to get hold of Fort's books if I'm going to write about him.

I know he covered frog falls in Book of the Damned (1919), New Lands (1923), and Lo! (1931)

(and isn't Lo! the best title ever?)

Post 20

smiley - laugh Yes, it is. He should have called one 'Lol', and probably would have, if he had lived later.

I think I found some of his writings online.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more