This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

How North Carolina Celebrates New Year's Eve - Anthropological Observation

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Anthropologists, take note. Humans are odd. Some humans are odder than others. To any PhD candidates out there - might I suggest that you use North Carolina as the subject of your dissertation? You could probably get a grant somewhere.

It all started in the 19th Century, when town halls in the US had a brass ball affixed to a spike on the roof. They lowered the ball at exactly noon, in order to facilitate the synchronisation of local watches.

Somewhere along the line, people started dropping these balls at midnight on New Year's. The one in Times Square must be watched by millions of people around the country. Right before they yawn, say, 'Happy New Year, dear', and toddle off to bed.

In North Carolina, partygoers have different ideas:

- In Raleigh, the capital of this bustling state, there is a brass acorn. The acorn gets 'dropped' at New Year's. It's not good for anything else - the thing is an unwanted eyesore that some rich person ninja-gifted to the town. It sits in a little park.

- In Eastover, there's a giant flea. In honour of an infestation of biblical proportions, of course.

- In Mount Olive, North Carolina, the Mount Olive Pickle Company - located at the corner of Cucumber and Vine Streets - has the exciting custom of lowering a 3-foot artificial pickle into a vat of vinegar, the while the crowd sings 'Auld Lang Syne'. They do this at midnight GMT. You have to be there, we suspect, and people come from miles around. In fact, somebody drove up from Birmingham, Alabama, this year. Go figure. A more local person, who lives in Cary, North Carolina, but hails from Michigan, says it's certainly different. Apparently, they have more sense than to drop odd objects in Michigan.

- The piece de resistance: in Brasstown, they stage a 'possum drop'. The possum, apparently, is not consulted, a fact which has outraged PETA. I personally would not like to annoy a) a possum (they have teeth), or b) a PETA member. (I don't know what they have, but it probably comes with Lawyers.)

The Brasstown organisers said they would most probably be dropping a stuffed opossum this year. and friends of the shop owner responsible for this ritual at the 'Opossum Capital of the World' have asked for donations to enable the gentleman to defend 'his First Amendment rights', which apparently include using possums in bizarre civic rituals. The website is here:

http://www.clayscorner.com/

Here's a video of the Pickle and the Flea in action:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/nc-town-drops-giant-flea-for-new-year/

Now you know why I spent New Year's Eve indoors, watching Hulu and drinking Coke.

Happy New Year, y'all!

smiley - dragon

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - laugh I read that as "Now you know why I spent New Year's Eve with 'er indoors"smiley - rofl

Happy New Year to you and Elektrasmiley - cheerup

smiley - bubbly

Post 3

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Tom spent New Year's at w*rk (yay graveyard shiftsmiley - erm) so PaperKid and I watched the copy of The Last Unicorn I'd just gotten at a thrift store the day before my birthday (I remember the animation being better--or at least more consistent), drank some sparkling lemonade, and then she stayed up as late as she could (she made it to 5) while I went to bed at 1:30ish instead of the 2 I'd been staying up to the last few days.

Post 4

smiley - rofl Sparkling lemonade sounds good.

Post 5

By the way, click around on that possum website, it's worth it. smiley - laugh

And if anybody 'wins' a can of opossum, we want a report for smiley - thepost.

I refuse to experiment. smiley - whistle

Post 6

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Getting pickled while the crowd sings "auld lang syne" makes sense to me smiley - cheers

smiley - pirate

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I should've gotten the usual sparkling cider, instead--the lemonade was half the pricesmiley - laugh

Post 8

Ramya Krishna Mulugu

Pickles are awesome, and I kinda wish I'd gone to the Raleigh thing...
I wonder if $18 is worth itsmiley - erm

Post 9

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/robertburns/burnsnight/running_order.shtml

smiley - winkeyeit's like piping in the haggissmiley - smiley we all know haggis are deafsmiley - whistle

Post 10

Pastey

I spent new years fixing something that someone broke. Mentioning no names smiley - winkeyesmiley - laugh

Post 11

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

re 9:

That first picture is the best evidence ever for the old saying 'you are what you eat' smiley - rofl

smiley - pirate

Post 12

smiley - rofl Shame on Pastey for mentioning that, says the culprit. smiley - run

Post 13

Pastey

Ah, but it was an oversight in the code that allowed an error though. And the error itself was not an error at all, just an oddity in the way that XML handles html smiley - winkeye

Post 14

smiley - rofl In other words, it's not a bug - it's a feature! smiley - eureka

Post 15

Spaceechik, Typomancer

" In other words, it's not a bug - it's a feature! "
Yeah, that's the ticket! smiley - winkeye

I live in north central Los Angeles, and my neighborhood broke out in illegal fireworks (and hopefully no guns!) about 11:45pm and didn't let up until 12:15am. I'm thinking some folks were so pickled they could no longer focus on their cell phones to check the time.
Whatever, it sounded like a war zone, no lie. smiley - erm

Post 16

smiley - yikes That sounds like Germany.

In Munich, at exactly midnight (Bavarians, OCD, you get the picture), all H broke loose.

At precisely 12:05, the fire alarms started. In the countryside, it was even worse.

Fireworks + thatched roofs = disaster.

Post 17

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Californians used to have shake roofs...but those slabs of wood burn really well, and I think they're even against the building codes if you live where brush fires happen.

I did heart sirens, about midnight, but the fire house is at the end of my street, so I would... smiley - winkeye

Post 18

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Well, I like sirens, they're useful things, but I don't "heart" them...hear was where I was aiming, even if I didn't get there.

Post 19

smiley - rofl

Post 20

Willem

Hi folks! That thing looks like a louse to me, not a flea.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more