This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Extraordinary How Potent Humour Can Be

Post 21

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

aye smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 22

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeye

Post 23

ITIWBS

Derivation of the term "Yankees", from the Iroquois and Huron word for 'English', "Yenguese".

The Hurons adopted it from the Iroquois, the French Canadians adopted it from the Hurons, and overseas it became a common word for Americans generally, though in the USA its usually restricted to people from New England* (south of the St. Lawrence river and east of the Hudson river), while people from 'Dixie' (south of the Ohio river and east of the Mississippi river) often resent being called 'Yankees', which in the states of the American Civil War confederacy pertains to people from the Union states generally.

*To be sure, portions of the south of the New England plate are sometimes referred to as New Holland, and those actually fronting on the St. Lawrence river are parts of Canada.

Post 24

I have no idea about this, but Wikipedia claims: "Linguists do not support any Indian origins".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

smiley - pirate

Post 25

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

'The Straight Dope' usually does pretty good research.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/506/what-is-the-origin-of-the-word-yankee

Now, I wouldn't take HL Mencken's word for anything. If he said it was raining, I'd look outside. And I love Cecil Adams' crack about James Fennimore Cooper, 'But most others think Cooper was about as good an etymologist as he was a novelist.'

Fact: nobody knows where the term 'Yankee' came from. And there's no scholarly agreement on the subject.

Post 26

KB

But I'm wondering, now. If they are the yank*ees*, who are the yank*ers*? smiley - bigeyes

Post 27

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl

Post 28

That is a valid question, KB smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 29

ITIWBS

The French derivation, "l'anglais" given as the root of the Huron usage, is persuasive.

Fact is the term has been around for a long time, has been used by a great many peoples, originated in a largely illiterate and all but prehistoric society.

Key: Complain about this post