A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

SEx: Our local birds

Post 1

benjaminpmoore

Hello, ornithologists. I have been wanting to ask the first question for a while: We have been feeding a seagull who regularly visits us from over the road where he nests with his mate and their babies. He has, at various stages, actually brought with him a pigeon, a herring gull, another seagull and two jackdaws. He knocks on the window sometimes and flies off, leaving the other birds to take what we leave out. What has surprised us most is that the seagull and his mate have taken food to, and indeed been seen guarding, the nest of the two jackdaws on the building along the block from them. Is that weird?
Also: we've now been told by our letting agent that we have to stop feeding the birds because we are causing a nuisance- how can we deter them without scaring or hurting them? Any ideas?

Post 2

Orcus

I would agree with your letting agents - feeding seagulls is like feeding rats.
I was considering arming myself with a baseball bat not so long ago due to harrassment from the bloomin things during nesting season in my works car park. smiley - cross

However I do like the idea of them guarding fellow birds' nests smiley - ok

Can't really help with the questions sadly

Post 3

Orcus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Herring_Gull#Behaviour

Look at the section on interaction with humans and see if you still want to feed these things.
They *really* don't need you help, they are more than capable of looking after themselves, and trust me, you don't want to go near their nest at hatching time, they can be *very* aggressive.

(I do think however, that they can see how aggressive *I* can be if they *really* want a fight <rah&gtsmiley - winkeye

Post 4

Orcus

http://local.stv.tv/elgin/news/31500-council-warns-that-feeding-gulls-could-lead-to-an-asbo/

smiley - whistle

Post 5

benjaminpmoore

Thanks Orcus, sorry it took me a while to reply. Anyone else got anything?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more