A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

Quantum Physics

Post 1

GregPius

SEx : Can you explain the formula e=mc2?
How do you relate that to Quantum Physics?

Quantum Physics

Post 2

>>> Can you explain the formula e=mc2?

e = mc^2 expresses the relationship between mass (m) and energy (e). Energy = mass times the speed of light, squared. So a small about of mass can be converted to a large amount of energy.

>>> How do you relate that to Quantum Physics?

I usually just try to get them to shake hands and make up. smiley - silly

Quantum Physics

Post 3

GregPius

Thanks and, by the way, very witty.
But remember, those who think they are witty are usually only half right.
That means the other half is best left alone. smiley - smiley

Quantum Physics

Post 4

I have it on good authority that your post suggests you are angry with me, perhaps because you wished to discuss physics and felt that I killed the discussion thread. If this is the case, I'd like to make you aware that I'm too much of a nerd to actually be able to discern whether you are angry with me; someone else had to explain it to me. smiley - shrug

That said, I did address both your questions. Your first question, "Can you explain the formula e=mc2?" I answered briefly but accurately.

Your second question, "How do you relate that to Quantum Physics?" I answered with a somewhat flippant "I usually just try to get them to shake hands and make up." Perhaps a more accurate statement would have been "I can't and so far no one else has been able to do so, either."

The expression e = mc^2 is a result from Relativity. To relate that to quantum physics would imply there was a Unified Field Theory. So far there is no widely accepted Unified Field Theory, unless of course one was discovered over the weekend.

smiley - smiley
HN

Quantum Physics

Post 5

Orcus

The area of Quantum Electrodynamics, as developed by Richard Feynman and others links Special Relativity and the Quantum theories rather nicely.
That links the behaviour and interaction of light and electrons with the quantum theory.
At least so I'm led to understand. I'm personally not qualified to go much beyond that in terms of describing it as I know little about it. I did touch on it once in my chemistry degree studies but that was now 20 years ago.

What *is* beyond physics at the moment (again as far as I understand) is linking all these things with gravity and hence General Relativity.

Quantum Physics

Post 6

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

I can think of one thing from particle physics that would give some idea of the application of E=mc^2. Whether this is Quantum Mechanical I can't say.

When the mass of particles is discussed the scientists always give mass in electron volts (usually in the Giga and Terra ranges). An electron volt is an expression of energy and applying E=mc^2 will give a mass by the simple application of algebra. There is a known value on each side of the equation therefore there is a solution.

Please tell me if I am completely off topic heresmiley - biggrin

t.

Quantum Physics

Post 7

GregPius

I never get angry except with myself.
Both your answers are much appreciated!
No one has ever explained it as clearly as you have. Thanks again.smiley - biggrin

Quantum Physics

Post 8

GregPius

As far as I can tell you are very much on topic.
But I am no Physicist. I am an economist, which means that my theory is derived from a minor branch of moral philosophy. Economic theory does "ape" Physics. For example, supply theory is a "steal" from Issac
Newton's theory on gravity. And some economists would argue that,
just as gravity is "the" weak force of nature, supply is the
weak force of markets. If you can say that magnetic forces are more powerful than gravitational forces (in physics) then so too are the forces of demand morepowerful than the forces of supply. As yet, economics can only offer up chaos theory try to "match" quantum theory. So you can see that economics (in theory) is still way behingd Physics.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post