A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

Why does damp cloth smell?

Post 1

elderberry

Why do damp clothes start to smell bad, while really wet ones don't? I imagine it's something to do with bacteria finding optimum conditions when a certain level of air and water are present; yes?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Gnomon is correct smiley - ok Even freshly laundered clothes will start to smell off, if you forget them in the washing machine after they have had a cool wash. You will need to wash them again smiley - winkeye

Dish cloths start to smell terrible too, unless they are absolutely clean.

One of my favourite smells is of freshly line-dried cotton sheets. I think the sunshine also helps to kill a few of the gazillions of life forms that linger even after a trip through the washing machine?

Post 4

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

How about why does the washing machine smell bad if I leave the lid down? I know there is always left over water in the bottom that you can't see, but is it the lack of light or the lack of air that makes the bacteria breed more? Or can I just smell it more because it's built up inside?

Post 5

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I leave the washer door open to let it dry out inside after the cycle has finished. Sometimes it helps to run it on a very hot cycle, or add some special laundry bleach. Bleach seems to be very often used here, as the sand from the Calimas turn everything a dusty yellow/brown.

smiley - eureka I remembered we had something in PR about this very subject. The Entry got sent to the Flea Market. Here it is, [How to Clean your Washing Machine]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A51927717

Anyone want to finish it off?
smiley - biggrin

Post 6

Taff Agent of kaos

##I think the sunshine also helps to kill a few of the gazillions of life forms that linger even after a trip through the washing machine?##

during gulf war one we were told, if you cant get your clothes laundered hang them out in direct sunlight for around 90 mins. and that would kill the bacteria and get rid of any smells, then just brush off any dried dirt

smiley - bat

Post 7

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - ok thanks Taff! I thought that this might be true. The sunshine here certainly fades colours very quickly, and destroys the lycra in my smiley - runsmiley - blush underwear if I hang it outside on the line too long.

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I wonder if you have to hang it out twice - for inside and outside the piece of clothing.

Post 9

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I think the actual temperature that the washing gets to in this sort of sunshine does a lot of the work. But I think that bright sunlight would penetrate through average types of fabric.

Post 10

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I believe it's the ultra violet light in sunshine that does for the bugs, and given that you can get a sun tan through clothing, even sunburn in extremis, I'd have to say no, you don't need to hang it up twice.

Isn't it fungi rather than bacteria (or, as well as but mostly) that makes a damp cloth smell that way?

Post 11

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

ugh . . . smiley - erm thanks Gosho smiley - laugh I am just _so_ glad to know that smiley - rofl

There is another reason that old clothes smell bad, and it is to do with the amount of human fat that has accumulated in the clothing - and bedding too. Now we wash at lower temperatures this is not always all removed. In the olden days women put a lot of clothes onto an actual boil wash. The smell I am referring to is the one you notice when you enter a badly kept charity shop. smiley - bigeyes

Post 12

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

to give a direct answer to the question posed - the reason cloths begin to smell bad is down to bacteria multiplying in the damp and nutritious conditions of the cloth. The most common is pseudomonas species which cause the smell associated with drains and flower vases when the water is a few days old.

Pseudomonas is also responsible for food spoilage, particularly dairy produce and has become a common and sometimes serious pathogen in hospital acquired infections. Many hospital wards in the UK have banned flowers as a consequence.

t.smiley - towelsmiley - milksmiley - ill

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-11-24/

Post 14

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - rofl You know I think I suffer from OCD when it comes to laundry. I blame my mother. In fact she only just rang me this morning to discuss the finer points of washing sheets. True.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more