A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

The Post?

Post 1

Skankyrich [?]

Just being a bit proactive with the Post about to start up again...

Would anyone from SEx fancy writing a regular column, or even an irregular one; a kind of 'best of the forum'? A lot of very interesting subjects are covered here, and it would be great to have a short piece explaining something that's been discussed in the last fortnight.

Just an idea smiley - smiley

The Post?

Post 2

Danny B

A think a short article once a fortnight is something I could commit to, if no-one else fancies it! I'd probably want to run it past the forum first each time, though, to make sure I haven't misrepresented anyone, grasped the wrong end of the stick or commited any gross misrepresentations of the scientific world... The best way would probably be for me to post to the thread I was reporting on to say "This thread is being included in the next article at Axxxxxx", unless anyone has a better idea?

So, suggestions for a title, then..?

The Post?

Post 3

Danny B

The 'Coffee and Milk' thread will make a perfect subject for the first article too! smiley - ok

The Post?

Post 4

Ste

"SEx Education", surely...

The Post?

Post 5

Post Team

Allow me to just weigh in my support for this project.smiley - smiley

EMRsmiley - thepost

The Post?

Post 6

Skankyrich [?]

The Editor has spoken smiley - smiley

The Post?

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Great idea; Surely we wouldn't even need the same person to write each time, depending on how peoples comittments are goign to be a differnt bod could do one in one issue, then someone else from here for the next etc? smiley - erm or would that lose any consistancy of writing it? smiley - ermsmiley - weird

The Post?

Post 8

Ste

Yeah. I didn't like the idea of writing regularly, but would gladly contribute every now and again...

Stesmiley - mod

The Post?

Post 9

Danny B

If other people are up for contributing, then I'm happy to compile/link the article every fortnight, as well as writing any extra bits that might be needed if everyone else is busy..!

The deadline for articles is midnight on the Sunday before the Post appears. So, looks like we've missed this Thursday's edition... The next deadline, therefore, is Sunday 17th September.

The Post?

Post 10

Skankyrich [?]

It wouldn't matter in the slightest if different people wrote for different issues - but that's for you guys to decide smiley - winkeye

The Post?

Post 11

Danny B

Oh, and...

'"SEx Education", surely...'

smiley - laughGets my vote!smiley - ok

The Post?

Post 12

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

Good smiley - eureka and I also like "SEx Education" smiley - biggrin ... but beware of the profanity filter smiley - tongueout

smiley - dragon

The Post?

Post 13

sigsfried

I would like to help. I currently have nothing to do for 5 weeks (waiting for uni to start and having just finished a job. With siblings back off to scholl I'm going to get very bored) After that I'll still be able to do something.

The Post?

Post 14

Danny B

OK... please forgive my enthusiasm (it's nice to be writing about fun science, rather than endless clinical trials...smiley - boing), but I've knocked together something *very* quickly for people to tear apart. And I mean it - please criticise the style, the format, the grammar, anything else that springs to mind

A4067453

The Post?

Post 15

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

smiley - ok Danny! Summarizes the discussion well.

Just a small detail - the mix of measures. They donĀ“t have any practical matter in this context, but for me - raised in the metric system - having both metric, UK and US measures in the same text is a little confusing anyhow.

smiley - dragon

The Post?

Post 16

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Blah! You didn't mention TRiG.smiley - tongueout

On addition of milk, heat is lost to the cool cup sides (the bit of the cup which wasn't previously in contact with the hot coffee).

The early addition of milk causes more heat to be lost, because the coffee is hotter at the time, so the heat difference is greater.

This is worth mentioning, because it has the *opposite* effect to the other chain of events (though it is also, almost certainly, a smaller effect, so Gnomon's answer remains corrrect).

TRiG.smiley - coffee

The Post?

Post 17

Forgot to say, SEx Education is a simply brilliant title!

TRiG.smiley - boing

The Post?

Post 18

Danny B

This is starting to feel eerily like PR... smiley - yikes

smiley - winkeye

The Post?

Post 19

Skankyrich [?]

Danny, that's great! It just needs a byline under the title and, at the bottom, a link to the forum to encourage people to visit with their own questions smiley - ok

I'm not promising anything - I've got a busy day tomorrow and haven't even looked at the existing regulars yet - but I will try to find time to get it in Thursday's edition, if EMR says it's ok. It would be great to start the next run with a new column, and this would be perfect. No promises, though smiley - smiley

The Post?

Post 20

smiley - biggrin

smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more