A Conversation for The Bull Outhouse

The Friends' List

Post 1

Katy Tulip

Morning everyone!

Peet, I've been thinking about what you said re The List, and I'm beginning to see what you mean!!!

At the moment our Personal Spaces are still manageable, but they'll become impossible, I think, if we keep adding more and more names to them - and imagine what it'll look like once ML is 'hooked up' - we'll get copies of many of the threads of all the boards anyone on our list contributes to. You can already see when you visit people if they've been contributing to the POV boards, for example. I sometimes post on the Food boards and WH too, never mind ML itself - are you guys sure you want someone with my postings numbers on your List?!?

Peet, I don't know if the following idea is at all feasible. Would it be possible to create a completely new identity, with a Friends' List, linked to the Outhouse, which can act as a mustering point so anyone new here can see which other MLers are around? Naturally, anyone wanting to have people on their own List are still able to, but I seem to recollect that there are several hundred Mustardeers all told.....

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 2

Eilis

Hello, Katy!

I have a little question for Peet re "personal space". I tried to add something to a few new posters but it tells me I'm not logged in. I don't have a problem if there are existing conversations. Is this because they have to be welcomed by a moderator first???

For example, I saw a post from $quigs on an existing conversation and replied to it but when I tried to welcome her in her "Personal Space", I couldn't. The same happened with Marmalade last night.

Eilis

The Friends' List

Post 3

Katy Tulip

Ooh, I don't know, Eilis, I haven't tried that one yet. I can't see who's logged on either, our firewall and antivirus doodahs seem to have very strenuous pop-up blockers on board too.

I'll give it a go and report back.

A thort - if all Newbies have to be 'spoken to' by a Mod/host before they can be posted to by anyone of us, the powers-that-be here are going to get mighty busy....

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 4

Katy Tulip

I've just posted a new thread to Auntie Prue, Eilis, so I don't know why you can't do that.

It is time-consuming though, without Latest Messages, keeping track of all the postings.

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 5

Eilis

Katy I've just been posting to SeaN to tell him that I don't seem to have that problem. The "My Space" page is my anchor and tells me instantly if there have been any new posts in the threads to which I've subscribed. And I just click on the link and here I am.

When I logged in this morning there had been 44 posts on one thread since I was here last!!

As for the other thing I'll try Auntie Prue's page and see what happens!! But if you've already posted there I probably won't have any trouble!

Eilis

The Friends' List

Post 6

Katy Tulip

But Eilis, when I do that in my Space, I always end up at the top of the thread, and need to trawl down each time, which is a bit of a bore I must say. How do you get to the very last post in a thread straightaway?

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 7

Katy Tulip

Sorted. You need to click on the time of the message, such as '1 minute ago', etc.

Hum.

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 8

Eilis

I just hit the "end" button on my keyboard.

Katy, when you get email notification of a reply to one of your posts in Mustardland does the link take you straight to the reply? It doesn't on mine and there have been times in a large thread where I've never found the post I've been looking for.

Eilis

The Friends' List

Post 9

Katy Tulip

I've found the link to that discussion on the new ML on The Hub: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F94020?thread=621381 It used to, until we had major problems with our Norton antivirus and firewall. AVG Grisoft and Zonealarm kept on jamming on our system and blocking the whole computer, so now we're trying out (free) AntiVir 9X and a firewall from Sygate - unfortunately, ever since then pop-up windows don't work, even if I allow them on my Google and Yahoo toolbars. Not only am I unable to see who's online here, I can no longer open up a seperate 'reply' window in ML itself, I can't use the link to the Beeb in my emails, watch video news coverage on the BBC News pages, etc. etc. It's a damn nuisance in fact, 'scuse my language, because if we get pop-up windows on sites for ordering stuff and so on they don't work either! So at the moment, all I can tell from my email in-box is that I've had a reply in ML, and in which thread - if it's a very long one, I often can't get to the message concerned, unless I'm prepared to trawl down Latest Messages. If I've been absent for several days, this is a non-starter, alas. Maybe this is why I'm not as bothered by the shape of things to come, because it's all becoming rather frustrating and time-consuming, no matter what the format is. Katy

The Friends' List

Post 10

petal jam

Morning Eilis, Katy et al

I had exactly the same problem this morning with others personal spaces, though Peet posted on mine yesterday. Tried signing in and out and it still wouldn't let me post.

Hope its temporary.

petal jam

The Friends' List

Post 11

petal jam

Katy, Eilis, re Ml e-mail notification, you can identify which post is indicated by the time given on the e-mail, exact to the second. This is one of the reasons why people have asked for time stamping on messages.

pj.

The Friends' List

Post 12

Eilis

Yes, petal jam, if you can find it. It can still take a bit of finding, sometimes the link doesn't work, sometimes it's not there when you go looking for it. ML is far from perfect.

The Friends' List

Post 13

petal jam

Umm Eilis I just search the page by own browser function on the time given for reply. Nae probs.

No ML isn't perfect, but h2g2 doesn't float my boat: I sort of feel that it's missing the point. And like Sean I find myself going round all the houses for no good reason.

pj

The Friends' List

Post 14

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Katy, re: a communal account, that's a brilliant idea. Do you have the time to set it up and run it? All you need is a different email address from the one you used to sign up to h2g2. As a central roster of Mustardeers it could come in quite handy!

The Friends' List

Post 15

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Eilis, re: posting on Personal Spaces, I was in contact with Jim Lynn, the guy who wrote this site, last night. He says there are a couple of known problems with Journals and cross-site access, which they're working on fixing right now. I suspect this may be another aspect of those problems.

The Friends' List

Post 16

Katy Tulip

Peet, I don't mind doing it, I have more than one email addy, and so logging in under a different one would be no problem. I can add new arrivals to its Friends' List as we go along, and then everyone has an easy link to all the Personal Spaces if they don't want them on their own personal space. Mine is already filling up with threads I haven't even posted in, and I'm finding it hard to keep track of my own postings, so I hope no one minds, but I'm going to boot everyone off soon. Feel free to take my name of yours infeturn, of course!!!

If I set a ML Mustering Station up, can you provide a link to it in the intro here?

Cheers,

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 17

H2G2 Mustardland Mustering Station

Hi Peet, I've just set it up, can you put a link to it in your Outhouse Intro? It's here: U1485019.

It's very basic at the moment, as I need to dash off again soon, but I'll start making the List asap.

Cheers,

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 18

Oh and btw - if anyone thinks the name is too naff for words, please give some altenatives and I'll change it - I just picked this one on the spur of the moment!

Grins,

Katy

The Friends' List

Post 19

DeeKay Bee

Katie, do you need us to register (for want of a better word) if we've already made ourselves know?

Any way I'm here, do what you will with me (!)

The Friends' List

Post 20

I've already added all the names I had on my own list, DKB, so you're already on there, but if you'd like a look, I've just started a new thread with the link to the new space (or click my name ML_M_S here).

Must be off now!

Cheers,

Katy

Key: Complain about this post