A Conversation for A Welcome and Thank You Message from Douglas Adams

Synonyms: Greatest

Post 1

Researcher 96074

Which English Language word has the most synonyms? And which word has the most spellings (you know, like Dear and Deer...). And anything similar.

The Guinness Book of records used to have all this sort of endlessly useful stuff (endlessly useful when you have am 8 year old who never stops asking questions), but the book has been taken over by a modern design team who have acrefull stripped it of all useful content, replacing it with total dross. Sorry - rant over.

Synonyms: Greatest & homonyms too

Post 2

blanoir

I think we are talking about homonyms at least as much as synonyms here aren't we?

Anyway with that thought in mind I want to nominate THERE both as in " there you go again" and " their ideas are not my ideas, and even " they're are a lot of of people looking for ways to use their are there not?
blanoir

Post 3

blanoir

sorry I see I goofed There are too many "are"s in one of my examples. And I started to use the wrong too (i.e.two) in trying to fit all the theres in2 my post!
blanoir (what again!)

Post 4

Researcher 78244

"Drinking" and "drunk" have hundreds of synonyms, from "guzzle" to "sacrifice at the shrine of Bacchus". New ones get added all the time, and are obvious from context. "He's getting blivered" obviously means "He's getting drunk", even though I just made it up.

--Milton--

Post 5

Big Geordie 103806

I'll drink to that, 'Hic'

Post 6

Warper

What about mad? From crazy, doolally, bonkers and thats just the beginning of the alphabet. The list is endless........and there must be lots of local examples from all over the world. Any good ones from the Antipodes that we may not have heard of?

Post 7

Researcher 105755

Mostly we use expressions, like "a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock", "sausage short of a barbecue" etc. But there are also words like dipstick (from dippy, I guess), and the list goes on...

Post 8

I Am Iron Man

According to numerous sources, there are more words and phrases meaning to be drunk than any other thingunajig in the entirety of the English language This is no doubt because getting blottoed , trolleyed, pissed, ratted etc is a central part to our culture.

Post 9

Researcher 157023

My favourite synonym for the state of inebriation is 'shiters'!

Post 10

stanthemansb

mine is "schnockered, or shnockered"

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more