A Conversation for Pop Music

Pop or crap?

Post 21

Mike A (snowblind)

That takes the piss.
Cliff Richard and John Lennon where the people who rightly deseved the honour, and not those turds.
Even though Imagine was re-released with the specific target of being the Millenium #1, still better then having the turds get it.

Well, I'm pissed off now. I'll listen to some proper music to make me feel better.
Pop music eh, who needs it? (other than skids and sell-outs)

Pop or crap?

Post 22

Jonboy

A lot of pop music nowadays is crap. But some of it isn't. The trouble is telling the difference. If you look at really popular music, much of the time you'll find music that has a lot of easy to understand lyrics that appeal to some common emotion. Another thing you will find is that the music has been hyped, usually as a music video, or as the soundtrack to a movie, or something else that get lots of exposure. I think this has a negative effect on people who are really trying to make quality music, and not trying to make lots of money. I've heard a lot of music that I thought was really good, but is just not popular at all, for one reason or another. Part of this is probably because my tastes differ greatly from those of the general populace. What I'm trying to say is this: pop music is designed to be popular, and thus will always be in the forefront of the music world. Therefore, pop music prevents more intellectual music from being noticed by the general public.

Pop or crap?

Post 23

Mike A (snowblind)

To be honest my tastes and opinions in music have changed, so I'm not sure if I'd agree with what I've posted earlier in this thread!

Yeah, you're kinda right. Guess you're totally right, man!

Pop is poop

Post 24

Jonboy

Interesting. Now that I look back at the article, it does try to categorize pop as a sub-genre, which I don't agree with. The last three paragraphs are mine (though heavily editted). I had originally written them about music in general, and not about pop music. They probably more accurately describe commercial music, than pop music.

Pop or crap?

Post 25

the_g-man

Pop music is crap! It is the kind of music that is reserved for people who are lacking in intelligence. For example, who in their right mind would buy a Steps album, I wonder? Well, a braindead teenybopper kind of person obviously! Another thing that is important in starting a pop band is not having any talent of your own. Also, you should be unable to sing live as that will allow them to play that recording of your single that you will then mime along to in a rather lame fashion.

Pop or crap?

Post 26

Mike A (snowblind)

If you catch me on h2g2 late on saturday night, grab me in this thread. If you're lucky you may hear one of the most vehement, hate-filled rants of anti-pop music you could ever hear.

Go on, try me smiley - winkeye

Pop is poop

Post 27

Legolas the Slart

I believe that rock and other of its family are dead. To start music was a enjoyment for all, then its commercial value was realised, so it know nop lomger took are composer or musican to produce, write and perform music, but it niow only takes a castind director, a stadge school and a get rich quick sceme. Long were the days of Beatles and Queen in comes the boy and girl bands of the 90's. Take these:
Steps, Atomic Kitten, Bewitched, Westlife, Boyzone, 911, 98degress, precous, honeyz, take that, point break, 3t, spice girls, all saints, a1, n-sync, the backstreet boys, to name but a few....

Pop is poop

Post 28

Jonboy

I don't agree with you that rock is dead. I think there are a lot of horrible rock groups that are popular (I agree with your list), but I think there is still good rock out there. What do you think of last year's Santana cd (Supernatural)? I think this cd alone goes a long way towards proving that rock is not dead.

Pop or crap?

Post 29

Mike A (snowblind)

Hey, it's past midnight on a saturday night right now! What are you waiting for?!

I'm replying to the recent stuff up there, but doing it down here so it doesn't get lost.

Rock is not dead. Pure & simple.

Pop or crap?

Post 30

Jonboy

Yep. Rock is definitely not dead. There is just a lot of crap rock out there crowding out the good stuff.

Pop or crap?

Post 31

Legolas the Slart

Re:Rock is dead
I now agree after finding these..
Metallica, Santana, counting crows, Blink 182..
Also meatloaf is still growing strong....

Plus Manic Street Preachers Rock.......

smiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fish

Pop or crap?

Post 32

FastaBenji (Researcher 108572)

Rock isn't dead its hiding so it doesn't end up watered down garbage like every thing else Mtv touches.

Pop or crap?

Post 33

The Cheese

Rock is not dead. The problem is, rock has been washed out of popular culture by the teeni-boppers and now no one hears much of it. And, of course, more and more rock bands (e.g., The Offspring) are going the sell-out route.

the mission of pop

Post 34

Researcher 147823

ok, here's my new theory: pop music is the background noise that gradually makes people hate it and therefore look for something better; so it's actually useful. you can't make the masses appreciate complicated stuff all at once. i'm a musical snob myself, listening to the Propellerheads and Tori AMos at the moment, but i have my shameful moments of singing along to the backstreet boys...

the mission of pop

Post 35

Legolas the Slart

What about nu/heavy metal (korn, Slipknot, Marrolin Mansun)? Here the sound dosen't feel any emotion. Only allowing the listener to (in some cases) rebel and become nihilistic? Yet it makes millions across the pond and allow deviod of chart positions over here, is massive in the US. Most people at schools get beaten in for liking "mosha" music, yet are quite prepared to do so for it. It has had a very large (and because of its nihilisism) and rebelious effect omn a lot of peo[le. Its blamed for shootings and massaces (Marrolin Mansun are hated by Christian right).

the mission of pop

Post 36

Mike A (snowblind)

That's just because some people are brainless f**ks. Overreacting. Slipknot/MM aren't THAT solid!

hi

Post 37

mad bitch

hi there !!!!!! yes i have to agree with the very last entry!!!! i think slipnot and mm although they can be quite offensive and hardhitting should be taken as a musical act that are seeing music the way they like it to be seen!!!! hey it's your own state of mind man!!!! email me on [email protected]

hi

Post 38

The Cheese

Marylin Manson is looking for two things:

1. Money
2. Attention

He has tons of both.

hi

Post 39

mad bitch

Excuse me but doesnt that imply to all popstars?!?!

hi

Post 40

The Cheese

Yes it does. But at least they don't pretend to be hardcore metal.

Key: Complain about this post