A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Favourite Childhood foods

Post 1

Abi

My brother was a huge fan of Munch Bunch yoghurts due to the fact that they did not contain any "bits". When I went shopping for us both last night I picked a pack for nostalgia's sake.

This morning I found my 22 year old brother throwing a strop in the kitchen because they had discontinued his favourite flavour - Pedro Orange.

What was your favourite childhood food?

smiley - smiley

Post 2

Niz (soon to be gone)

I used to love Pacers which were green and white striped minty chewits type things.
Thet were great and even, dare I say it, a rival to salad cream for the greatest taste sensationsmiley - ok

Can't buy them anymore.....Oh the humanity!!!!

* sobs uncontrollably *

Post 3

Zorpheus - I'm so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

Spaghetti-O's w/meatballs

A spaghetti-like gelatinous orange mess with some sort of meat-type substance.
It use to taste great to me as a kid, but I tried some not to long ago and could bairly keep it down. smiley - ill

Post 4

Boys and Cake Girl

I used to love Ice-Magic. It was a syrup you poured on ice cream and it solidified into crunchy, fake-tasting chocolate. We used to have on Sundays with our puddings. *eyes start misting over*

Post 5

Rainbow

My favourites were Jaffa Cakes and Butterscotch flavour Angel Delight (and if I'm really honest - I still love them!!) smiley - smiley

Post 6

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

How far back do you want to go? I can remember chowing down on some soggy rusks and *loving* it! smiley - bigeyes

I think Birdseye potato waffles were a food group of their own for a while. Does anyone remember a whole load off other brands spawned by this particular product. The most disturbing I can remember were potato rolls that came with the tomato ketchup inside them! (also birdseye I think). And Fritters. What the Hell is a fritter? Come to that who decided to call them waffles?

* wobbles off to go and lie down for a while* smiley - silly

Clive.

Post 7

Niz (soon to be gone)

Hi my name is Niz and I'm a jaffaholic *ripple of applause*

I first realised there was a problem 3 years ago when after a particularly heavy jaffa session where I munched my way through roughly fifty jaffa cakes, I threw up.
When there are jaffa cakes in the room I have to eat them til their gone and I feel that admitting the problem is the first step to living my life free of jaffa cakes. * Sits back down*

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

Thanks for sharing that with us, Niz.

And a Big Thank You smiley - kiss to whoever it was up there in the thread (too idle to look, sorry) who said "pacers" we have been trying to remember the name of the Minty-opal-fruit-not-starburst-type-substance. Pacers. With Stripes!

So on to my favourites: home-made maccaroni cheese. Still a favourite. Lemon merangue (sp?) pie - from the packet only - a Sunday lunch favourite. Crispy fish-finger & Tomato ketchup sandwiches.

Sigh.
*slopes off for lunch which is, sadly, none of the above*

Post 9

Is mise Duncan

Mushed up avocado....mmmm.

Post 10

weegie

penny chews like blackjacks, fruit cocktails and danties (they're probably a scottish thing)

my one abiding memory of childhood food is not a pleasant one. My mum, a beautifully unstable women in the middle of divorce at the time, forced me for TWO, yep TWO days to eat a blamonge (sp?) she had the wonderful idea of putting bread in it to soak it up - she forced me to stay at the dinner table until i'd finished it- couldn't do it though
* oh no the memories are all flooding back now.... i'm going to have to lie down.*

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

Duncan, mashed up avocado surely can't count - everybody everywhere loves that. Don't they?

Post 12

Wand'rin star

1. Victoria sponge with straberry jam and mock cream filing
2.Rice pudding with nutmeg on top.
3.A pudding made of jam with a layer of cornflakes on, covered in hot custard.
(lots more, but I'm supposed to be on a diet. So I'm not going down that road)smiley - star

Post 13

Abi

Taxi bars and hula hoops. I rue the day that they no lonfer fitted on my fingers! smiley - smiley

Post 14

Rainbow

Oh good, another Jaffaholic out there - I can't have them in the house without eating them all....However, beat this, once I had a bet with a friend that I could eat a whole pack in less than a minute - I did it in 35 seconds - he was both repulsed and impressed.

(p.s. - I'm a nice person really, but we all have our weaknesses!!)

Post 15

Niz (soon to be gone)

When I walk past the jaffas in the supermarket I start to shake.

oooohhh JAFFA CAKES MMMMMMMMM......

I am seeking professional medical helpsmiley - ok

Post 16

FG

I think I had some kind of mineral deficiency. I had a yen for Crayola White Chalk. I used to eat it by the boxload. In second grade (I was about 7 years old) I sat near the chalkboard and used to sneak chalk out of the trays to munch on when I thought no one was looking. One day this snotty kid across the room raised his hand and yelled: "Mrs. Fisher, Becky's eating your chalk!!"

Oh, the humiliation....

Post 17

Niz (soon to be gone)

oh and flying saucers too!!!

Post 18

Boys and Cake Girl

And penny sweet shrimps, now I come to think of it. (Though I did labour under the delusion that they were supposed to be judges' wigs for rather a long time. It sort of made sense when I was small and didn't realise what thay were called. smiley - smiley )

Post 19

Boys and Cake Girl

And penny sweet shrimps, now I come to think of it. (Though I did labour under the delusion that they were supposed to be judges' wigs for rather a long time. It sort of made sense when I was small and didn't realise what they were called. smiley - smiley )

Post 20

Boys and Cake Girl

Hee hee! Spot the spelling mistake that I noticed too late! Wish my reaction time was faster!! Curse double posts!

Key: Complain about this post