A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Intellegent SF can you name some?

Post 101

threesecondmemory

Brave New World.

Intelligent SF can you name some?

Post 102

Jamie

Peter F Hamilton - I've read the Nights Dawn trilogy recently. It is pretty good (if well-written space opera is your thing). Not for the weak of stomach though. Trying to keep track of the six or so plot threads running at any one time is a bit tricky as wellsmiley - smiley

Post 103

Trinity's Child

Contact by Carl Sagan.

A lot better than the 'love-story' film.

Also The Postman by ??????( Help me out here Crescent)

And the Enders Series by Orson Scott Card

Post 104

span(ner in the works) - check out The Forum A1146917 for some ace debate

David Brin wrote The Postman, if it's that post-apocalyptic one that was made into an allegedly terrible film with Kevin Costner (haven't seen it)

cheerio
span

Post 105

Crescent

Span(ner) got there first smiley - smiley The film wasn't that bad, added some bits'n'bobs, changed some bits'n'bobs, but overall seemed to stay truish to the book. Anyway if you have an afternoon free there are worse ways to spend it than giving the film a shuftey smiley - smiley

Over the weekend I read A Scanner Darkly, by Philip K Dick, now I believe that is intelligent SF. A horrible, bleak, and very funny peek into mind(s) of Bob Arctor/Fred an undercover narc, with a quick look drug addiction, at the way the Drug War could change society, and a stop by mental breakdown and drug addiction. Well worth a look. Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 106

Freedom

In posting 50-something someone mentioned Greg Egan, I'd just like to add Distress and Quarantine to the recommendations. His stories stay in my mind for days and days...

Post 107

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Wow!I thought this thread was dead.

I just read Necromancer by William Gibson.It's the second Gibson I've read and something about it annoyed me BUT I'm not sure what it was yet.I'll have to think about it.

Trouble is as a supply teacher at this time of year funds are tight so buying new books is not on the cards so I have to take other peoples castoffs.Roll on the next payday-I shall be down the bookshop so fast.

So I've nothing really good to offer except I'm about to attempt Hamilton's The Naked God.Trouble is I had to read the two previous books in the series to refresh my memory.It's a mammoth task and is an excellent example of intelligent SF.smiley - biggrin

Post 108

weakpun

Wow - I can't believe I forgot Jeff Noon - Vurt and Pollen both highly recommended.

Neuromancer - there is something annoying about it, and for me it's the completely lifeless characters with their pointlessly tacked-on sex scenes. However, it's mindblowing to think that it was written back in 1983(? I think). Sci-fi prophecy at its bestsmiley - smiley.

Post 109

weakpun

Wow - I can't believe I forgot Jeff Noon - Vurt and Pollen both highly recommended.

Neuromancer - there is something annoying about it, and for me it's the completely lifeless characters with their pointlessly tacked-on sex scenes. However, it's mindblowing to think that it was written back in 1983(? I think). Sci-fi prophecy at its bestsmiley - smiley.

Intellegent SF can you name some?

Post 110

Mister Matty

Intelligent SF?

1984 - George Orwell (book)
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut (book)
Neuromancer - William Gibson (book)
Blade Runner (film)
Flow my Tears, the Policeman said - Philip K Dick (book)
The Man in the High Castle - Philip K Dick (book)
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut (book)

Post 111

threesecondmemory

Too right Jeff Noon has done some fantastic stuff.

Vurt&Pollen as mentioned, also the one about the lottery....whats it called......

threesecondmemory strikes again!

Post 112

threesecondmemory

I remembered...Nymphomation. Great book. Also automated Alice and The new one Pixel Juice (which I haven't read yet)

Jeff Noon is the man. Gonna go and read nymphomation again i reckon.

smiley - winkeye

Post 113

threesecondmemory

Oh yeah and 'Needle in the Groove' which is the latest one.

Post 114

Munchkin

Pixel Juice is short stories, some of which are well weird, but very good. Needle in the Groove rocks!!! And I wouldn't exactly call myself a musically inclined, chemically affected person (just not my thing) but the book is stonking.

Post 115

threesecondmemory

Sounds like something I should buy this weekend. Now you come to mention it, I think I have read pixel juice. Is there a story in there about a drink where you twist the top to select the flavour, and the kids worked out you could get mixed flavours with different combinations of twists?

Post 116

Munchkin

That's the bunny. And little snipets of game rules and stuff.

Post 117

threesecondmemory

Everything becomes clear. Thank you.

Post 118

span(ner in the works) - check out The Forum A1146917 for some ace debate

thanks heaps to whoever suggested ursula le guin!

smiley - smiley

a happy span
who wishes the book was longer!

Post 119

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I've recently read Babel-17 by Samuel Delany.Wonderfully intelligent.Amazing to realise that it was first published in 1967 as it doesn't seem to have dated at all.

Just thought I'd kick start this thread again to see what everyone has read recently in the genre.So have you read any recently?

Post 120

Future World Dictator (13)

I just read "The Light of Other Days" by Arthur C Clarke and Steven Baxter. Unfortunately it is not an example of intelligent SF. I warn you, Do Not Read This Book. It is even worse than "3001: An Odyssey Too Far".

How the mighty have fallen.

(Sorry to be so depressing smiley - sadface.)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more