A Conversation for Ask h2g2

R 'N' B

Post 1

Niz (soon to be gone)

Does anyone know why artists such as Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson etc. are know as R'n B.
My understanding is that r'n'b is Rhythm and blues which I would equate to Gomez, Eric Clapton etc.
The others seem to me to have more in common with soul and Gospel.

Can any one correct me in my apparent ignorance??

R 'N' B

Post 2

Harry

I'm as puzzled as you. It seems that the term R'n'B has been appropriated by a load of third rate soul singers and their drum machines. I wonder how The Who would feel about their "maximum R'n'B" tag being used to describe the Honeyz?

R 'N' B

Post 3

Niz (soon to be gone)

At least I'm not the only one who has thought about this ridiculous term. I am sure that it is just a marketing thing, good hook and all that rather than an actually genre term.

People in advertising and marketing please kill yourselves, you create nothing but a shallower society that uses less independent thought do us a favour, put a gun in your mouth.

R 'N' B

Post 4

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

Well, I think RnB is really not the same as Rhytm and Blues. They´ve used the short thing as a name for a new kind of music. But another thing that i find stupid is a Soul CD you can get in Denmark. It has a lot of weird artists, but the weirdest would have to be Sisqo with Thong Song. How can that song be classified soul? But looking at the other artists, it seems the guys who made it has the definition of soul that it is any music made by Black artists. Pretty stupid.

R 'N' B

Post 5

Pink Paisley

Saw Dr Feelgood last night. Ears still ringing. Now that's what I call R'n'B.

Key: Complain about this post