A Conversation for Ask h2g2

tom lehrer

Post 1

nannynut

One of my friends (I don't have many so I need to be as helpful to them as I can), feels sure she has seen, heard or read of a New York Mayor who wanted to poison Central Park pigeons. We can't figure out if we are just thinking of Tom lehrer's lyrics or there actually was such a mayor? Anyone any thoughts on the subject?
Nannynut

tom lehrer

Post 2

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Dunno. Wasn't it something to do about an epidemic of something-or-other they had over there a while back? Mosquitoes or such like.

However, Tom Leher is wonderfully funny. I managed to import his "Songs and More Songs" on CD from [URL removed by moderator]. Favourite works have to include: Irish Ballad, I hold your hand in mine, Poisoning pigeons in the park and We will all go together when we go. The Great Lobachevsky, Elements and The Hunting Song also deserve a mention.

Clive smiley - bigeyes (Crying withb laughter !)

tom lehrer

Post 3

C Hawke

For those who have never heard his brilliant songs a goog Guide article with many lyrics is here

http://www.h2g2.com/A230086

the threads grom it include catalog numbers and details of various releases

Enjoy - and poison a pidgeon for me

C Hawke

tom lehrer

Post 4

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

Yep, there was. But he wasn´t going to poison them in the normal term of the word, he was actually going to drug them. He believed that by giving them small seeds with LSD in it, they would learn to stay away. I´ll look up the article.

tom lehrer

Post 5

nannynut

Thanks a lot, we would love to read the article. It's heartening to know that there are still so many "dissidents" left, especially those who remember and love Tom Lehrer, He was way ahead of his time wasn't he.
Regards, Nannynut

tom lehrer

Post 6

At Last! The lyrics to 'The Elements'.

I can die happy. smiley - smiley

Clive.

tom lehrer

Post 7

Wand'rin star

(I cherish the memory of Mary Archer (the fragrant) singing that on a Kit and the Widow show)
Thank you very much for starting this thread. It has inspired me to lay out US$35 for a boxed set of CD's and a little book of the great man. Can't wait to hear "Fight.fiercely Harvard" again smiley - smiley

tom lehrer

Post 8

Marduk

Does anyone have the lyrics to "New Math"? That was an excellent song! smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 9

This post has been removed.

Removed

Post 10

Removed

Post 11

Marduk

tom lehrer

Post 12

C Hawke

Awesome, simply awesome, more web sites like this (a bouncy ball over the lyrics would be *to* much to ask for)

CH

tom lehrer

Post 13

I concour. Wonderful stuff! smiley - smiley

Clive smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post