A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What are you reading at the moment?

Post 21

Glider

Sorry - replying to JK earlier but I ended up down here - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance is QUALITY

I'm reading Kant and the Platypus - Umberto Eco

Post 22

Merdo the Grey, Patron Saint of fuzzy thinking

isn't quality another way of saying "WU!"?

Post 23

Merdo the Grey, Patron Saint of fuzzy thinking

I'm reading a lot of rather interesting bibliographies at the moment.

But if you mean what am I reading "currently", i guess that must be "Astrophysics and cosmolology" by somebody or another.

Post 24

hikikomori

Milan Kundera

Post 25

Warmtea

The Lord of the Rings. I had to deliberately not read it for ten years so that I would forget most of the plot elements and stories. I didn't forget how dull the bits about Tom Bombadil and the Ents was though - I neatly speed read those chapters!

Post 26

Researcher 99947

Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams, which I am finally getting around to reading.

The History of Date Rape: A Short Story Collection, which can be both horrific and hilarious at times.

Henderson, the Rain King, by Saul Bellow. I've been reading this book for two years now...

Dreamweaver 3 Bible... ugh.

Post 27

Afrael (keeper of angelic guidance)

...also Kirinya by Iain McDonald (sequel to the magnificent Chaga) and *still* The Magician...

Commuting 4 hrs/day as of next week, which should get me back up to usual reading speed....

A

Update...

Post 28

Is mise Duncan

"The Tain" - Finished...It turns out that Cochobhan did it smiley - winkeye

"Mao" - 200 pages in and he has only just come round to the idea that the peasants are essential to a revolution....yech!

Update...

Post 29

Sho - employed again!

Some rubbish about a journalist who is reincarnated from some 13th century Welsh Lady.... helps me to get to sleep
The Island of the Day Before (Umberto Eco) - sometime I'll get past page 57...... one can hope
Nogmania - brilliant, just arrived by post I had it as a kid and now I have it again (to go with the videos)
Bob the Builder annual 1999 - my kids can't get enough of it
Dipping into whilst i'm eating breakfast: the poems of Byron Shelley & Keats. Some good stuff in there

Post 30

Glider

Afrael

From a fellow 4 hour a day commuter - welcome to the club. I go from the south coast into London Bridge and back again every day and have done for 4 years. It can be agony, but also I can read a broadsheet cover to cover, we have a gang who bring in cakes, we have a christmas party on the train, great discussion about life the universe and everything...and you can also read that Iain MacDonald plus War and Peace and a couple of James A Micheners in a week.

Glider

Post 31

smiley - smiley

A

Post 32

Glider

I'm also reading a Michener (I forgot)... "Mexico", recommended by a fabulous old couple I served in a Mexican restaurant I was working at...It's hardback so can't really come on the train, and it's my second try... Better luck this time, I hope!

A

Post 33

Gnomon - time to move on

Is that cosmolology or cosmololology? smiley - smiley

Post 34

Gnomon - time to move on

Words and Rules - Steven Pinker; a study of the workings of the human brain by the analysis of irregular verbs (really!)

Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien; with my 9-year old daughter

A Fire Upon the Deep - Vernon Vinge; I found this one on my bookshelf and don't know how it got there. I'm only starting it.

Post 35

a girl called Ben

Just finished "The Demolished Man" by Bester - recommended to me by researcher jqr. An enjoyable thriller set in a world where telepaths read your thoughts - can you comit a murder and get away with it?

Then read "The Business" by Iain Banks - on the recommendation of my big brother. Enjoyed that too; it is more interesting than it sounds, if I say that it is about a high powered female executing working for a high powered global conglomorate. Nice technology, but I didn't engage that much with the heroine. I had always avoided Iain Banks because "The Wasp Factory" sounds so vile, now I have a copy of "The Crow Road" to read next.

Just started (do I have to admit this amongst such a cerebral bunch of researchers?) just started "Adrian Mole - the Cappuccino Years" and I am enjoying re-living the 1997 election.

Got a little bogged down with the Bruce Chatwin - will try again.

Post 36

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

The Truth by Terry Pratchett.

(I don't go on excesivly about Discworld - but I have been waiting for this...)

Clive smiley - winkeye

Post 37

Calypte

I got my copy of 'The Truth' this morning, but I'd said I wouldn't read it until Christmas - it's supposed to be a present - oooh! the antici....pation!! smiley - smiley! Besides, I've only just started 'The Dragonbone Chair' - first of the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn books by Tad Williams - which I've owned for months, and had soo many people telling me I should read it already.

And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has a bad habit of reading so many books at the one time!!!

Key: Complain about this post