A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Camden

Post 1

Vip

I will be in Camden for a couple of hours tomorrow. While I'm more than happy to drink tea and read books, does anyone have any recommendations?

smiley - fairy

Camden

Post 2

Icy North

I've not visited, but people rave about the market. I'm sure you'll have a great time - shop early for Christmas!

Camden

Post 3

Vip

I've heard of it too, I will make sure it's on my list. smiley - biggrin

I'm not sure I could bear to shop this early for Christmas but never say never...

smiley - fairy

Camden

Post 4

You can call me TC

For some reason, I am reminded of Roymondo. Didn't/doesn't he live in Camden?

I was there once with a friend. We saw a Renaissance play in a room over a pub, so we were there in the evening. So I can't make any personal recommendations, but, there is Highgate Cemetery, and the Wellcome collection fairly nearby. Careful when googling - there is a Camden in Australia, one in Maine and one in New Jersey as well.

Or did you mean one of those? smiley - smiley

Camden

Post 5

Icy North

As well as the 'village' of Camden, it's also a large borough, covering much of north central London. I work in Camden borough.

Camden

Post 6

Vip

Yes, I didn't actually twig that the borough was so huge until I got there!

In the end I went to the British Museum. Now I can say I've done that, the Natural History and the Science museum. Next time maybe I'll get the V&A.

smiley - fairy

Camden

Post 7

You can call me TC

The V&A is wonderful. I went there recently for the "Revolution" exhibition and have vowed to go back again and look at the (free) regular exhibition.

Camden

Post 8

bobstafford

For interest London boroughs name originssmiley - smiley

http://londonist.com/2013/07/how-the-london-boroughs-got-their-names

Camden

Post 9

coelacanth

I went to the Revolution exhibition too! Fabulous, especially the headphones and the Woodstock experience. Looking forward to Pink Floyd now. http://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/pink-floyd
smiley - bluefish

Camden

Post 10

You can call me TC

The exhibition had me right from the entrance hall. I was moved to tears by a tiny plaque in commemoration of John Peel, right at the end of the gallery. After that it was just one emotional upheaval after another - and to realise that we lived through that and how it changed the world and us. I find it hard to put into words. Not sure how much my hubbie got from it as there was a lot of language (written and spoken) and his English isn't too fluent. But, being a little older than me, he knew more about the subject.

What he missed was the revolution that was going on in Berlin with the Kommune Nr 1 and so on. Especially as the curator was German-born, you would have thought that some mention would have been made. It was not exactly UK-centric, but it only included goings-on in France and the US apart from London, Liverpool and the Isle of Wight. Maybe Poland - not sure now about that.

Anyway, bob, thanks for that link. I was interested to learn that I was born in a "field of lambs"!

Camden

Post 11

bobstafford

Thanks it was a pleasure smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post