A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Gimme that Old Time Religion...

Post 21

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

The oddest people don't necessarily believe the oddest things. Some of the most boring people I've ever accidentially met, seem to have the most oddest beliefs. smiley - weird

The me up a tree thing looks unlikely, I asked William for a tree so I could sit in it, and magestically move through its branches, he said no... smiley - sadface I may become increasingly obsessed now, by the concept of planting a large oak tree on the balcony, if possible... however unlikely or dangerous it may seem as an idea, its, still something I'm sure. smiley - zen

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Large oak trees usually prefer to stay right where they are. smiley - winkeye

Post 23

But... no fair... I want a tree now to sit in smiley - wahsmiley - alienfrown

Post 24

Relax. You can have a tree. Just not a big one.

Post 25

Swl

Given that we have people motivated by their religion to do insane things, could it be said that the devoutly religious might be categorised as insane?

Post 26

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Perhaps as insane as those who are driven to do anything at all to gain more personal wealth?

Post 27

yea! my own tree! smiley - wow \smiley - zen T r e e t r e e t r e e t r e e smiley - zensmiley - grovel *worships the tree* smiley - zensmiley - grovel

Post 28

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Is there a species known as a "Bob Tree"?

Post 29

"people motivated by their religion to do insane things" [swl]

As a legal matter, insanity pertains to a defendant's ability to determine right from wrong when a crime is committed. Don't most religions have standards where right and wrong are concerned? Don't most terrorists who use religious beliefs as a basis for their acts violate those very religious beliefs by committing terrorism? If the little old lady in my neighborhood with 12 cats and a habit of going to Mass every day lives in peace with the community, wouldn't she be considered sane by this legal standard?

A medical determination of clinical insanity might not hold water in court. Someone can be totally insane but still know right from wrong. Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer were not found to be insane by the courts. In fact, some people have worked in mental for years and have never heard the word "insane" used except in a legal context.

Freud was not a fan of organized religion, but he thought it was a better form of neurosis than others, because sufferers had to do less work in order to embrace it. smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post