A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Buying a new TV

Post 1

Deb

My digibox has become exceptionally unreliable at recording TV programmes and, as my TV is over 10 years old, I thought now would be a good time to look at replacing both.

What I really want is a smart TV so I can watch catch-up TV as well as my Amazon instants subscription. I also want to record free-view TV. According to buying guides, based on where I sit a 32" is the best choice.

I'm somewhat limited because I need to buy it from Currys - I have a £250 gift card.

Any recommendation?

smiley - tasmiley - cheers

Deb smiley - cheerup

Buying a new TV

Post 2

bobstafford

1 Samsung
I have one pictures good easy to use excellent sound 18 hours a day use no problem. Had one in removals storage for 2 years no problems.
2 Philips
Not a good as Samsung but its close if I did not have both I would not have notice the phillips is reliable and tough nice sound as well.

They both work hard as they double up as computer monitors hope it helps smiley - cheers

Buying a new TV

Post 3

Pink Paisley

SOUND!

Please pay attention to the sound of any that you look at.

Modern TVs are thin and the speakers have limitations. The loudspeakers need a certain amount of room to work in. They need air behind them. There is a reason why hi-fi speakers come in shoe box shaped cabinets and not in pizza box shaped ones.

Manufacturers are making hay with this limitation and will want you to go back later for a sound bar at least at a later date.

PP.

Buying a new TV

Post 4

Deb

Which Samsung, bobstafford? They look nice, but I can't find info on recording - does yours?

Thanks, PP, I'll bear the sound in mind smiley - cheers

Deb smiley - cheerup

Buying a new TV

Post 5

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Having sold brown goods for over 20 years my advise is do not get something that you are hoping will do everything. Usually it only does one thing well whe the rest tends to be either mediocre or is liable to break down.

As a rule Panasonic has proved reliable over that 20 years, with Sony being up and down. I've had three Samsung items, two of which proved troublesome.

Philips tend to be innovative but not too good on the end product.
LG had to reinvent itself as it had a terrible reputation in the first five years it sold in the UK.

I personally would err on a Panasonic, from past history. Maybe see if an external HD cancel connected?

Just a thought.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Buying a new TV

Post 6

bobstafford

Hi Deb I record to a separate device it the TV turns up its toes you loose the recordings

Buying a new TV

Post 7

bobstafford

The Samsung LED TV UE32J4100 smiley - smiley

Buying a new TV

Post 8

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

I second Bob's post; whilst all-in-ones always seem like an attractive option, they are usually just poor at everything; remember 14"TV's with built-in VCR'ssmiley - yuk. They were all, without exception, awful, plus when the TV or recorder part breaks, you often loose both. So, a false economy.

Whilst smart TV's are not quite as prone to awfulness as the bad-old days described above, with HDD recorders available for a few tenners and soundbars a good option for improving the sound, I would personally concentrate entirely on the picture quality for the TV. The other bits can easily be integrated.

Read reviews on Amazon, Which? and similar places to get an idea about other important stuff like how 'laggy' the remote might be or how intuitively or otherwise the remote buttons are laid out, etc. A poorly designed user interface will bug you for the whole time you own the product.

Buying a new TV

Post 9

Deb

Thanks everyone.

I've just finished setting up a Panasonic HDD recorder (this one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/panasonic-dmr-hwt150eb-freeview-play-hd-recorder-500-gb-10139381-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!43562505335!!!g!83983295375!&ef_id=VPYOxwAAAUnB6GoD:20151226144347:s ) - with only one call to my brother because I couldn't find it on the TV smiley - blush. It seems to be giving me all the catch-up channels plus my Amazon instant membership is working so I'm a happy bunny. The negative reviews I read of this one were mainly around Freeview Play not being available, but follow-up comments said that had been rectified. When I turned it on I got the message it was coming soon, but I did a software update and there it was.

I'm sticking with my Panasonic 32" TV for now, it's served me well for ten years so owes me nothing and if I have to replace it soon, well so be it.

smiley - cheers for all the helpful comments. And merry Christmas! smiley - holly

Deb smiley - cheerup

Buying a new TV

Post 10

bobstafford

Good choice Deb smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post