A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you know the world?

Post 1

swl

Ok, this should probably be in Misc Chat but nobody goes there nowadays.

Here's a wee game.

Go to the website mapcrunch.com. This will drop you on a random google maps road somewhere on planet Earth. Now the box to your right asking where to, tick the box saying 'stealth' and hit the 'GO' button. You are now somewhere you've never been and no idea of the country you're in. Your task? Navigate your way to an airport to get yourself home.

It's fun working out where you are from road signs and other clues.

Do you know the world?

Post 2

Mu Beta

How do I get it to stop printing the location in the middle of the road then?

B

Do you know the world?

Post 3

Mu Beta

I think I'm worryingly close to a South American drug dealer's home and wanting to get away...

B

Do you know the world?

Post 4

Mu Beta

OK. I'm on the outskirts of a city. Skyscrapers and stuff, so there must be an airport.

The signs so far are - I think - Portuguese, so I reckon I'm in Brazil. See you on Kokomo!

B

Do you know the world?

Post 5

Mu Beta

OK, so I think I'm in Mirassol. Plenty of industrial estates and iteninerant construction workers so far. NO road signs, but some buildings are labelled in English (including one, bizarrely, advertising Marmite), so I have hope.

B

Do you know the world?

Post 6

swl

I think I'm in South America - not big on road signs wherever it is smiley - erm

Do you know the world?

Post 7

Mu Beta

And I've stumbled over a very small aerodrome with a glider. Does that count?

B

Do you know the world?

Post 8

swl

Can you get home on a glider?

Do you know the world?

Post 9

Mu Beta

I can get to the Copacabana. That's good enough for me.

Attempt 2 might be a bit harder. I've found a sign with some indecipherable symbols and lots of very big numbers. Not a clue what language they could be yet.

Lots of palm trees and shacks.

B

Do you know the world?

Post 10

Icy North

Good game. I worked out I was in a village near Zurich by looking at place names and car badges, then aimed for the low ground, which took me north. Unfortunately street map ran out of coverage before I could get to where I thought the airport might be. So I popped into a Keller for a schnell halb instead.

Do you know the world?

Post 11

Mu Beta

Turns out I was in Thailand and could only drive round and round a lagoon and nowhere else.

Attempt 3 put me in the middle of Stirlingshire, which I felt was lacking in credible challenge.

B

Do you know the world?

Post 12

KB

I'm in the arse-end of nowhere, somewhere where the plant life is similar to ours. I'm getting a Scandinavian vibe.

Do you know the world?

Post 13

KB

Woohoo! Buildings!

Do you know the world?

Post 14

KB

Välkommen till Vegby - seems I'm in Sweden. This would be a nice spit for a holiday home.

Do you know the world?

Post 15

Beatrice

Hmmmm. I landed on a road with a sign helpfully saying "Zurich" right in front of me. Reasoning that I'd rather be heading away from the city, I turned around, and found a sign to the airport.

I'll try again.

Do you know the world?

Post 16

Beatrice

Ahhh, that's more of a challenge. The symbols are Asian, but I don't recognise them as Chinese. Might be Korea. I'm going to see if I can find a car that looks as if it knows where it's going and follow it.

Do you know the world?

Post 17

KB

I'm heading for the mythical town of Borås. It seems to have better roads...

Do you know the world?

Post 18

KB

I think I need Milla's help. I'm fairly sure I've got a party of angry Swedish farmers hot on my tail now...

Do you know the world?

Post 19

KB

Oooh! I've stumbled upon a truck full of felled timber. He'll be on his way to a port or somewhere industrial. smiley - eureka

Do you know the world?

Post 20

Beatrice

Lots of military personnel about. Oh, there's a south Korean flag! And a sign to Seoul station!

Key: Complain about this post