A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 61

quotes

ok, I got a great response from my vacuum inquiry, what about fridge freezers? We're probably thinking about an American-style jobbie, but without all that ice-making gubbins, or anything else which eats into the interior space so terribly. Which brands are worth looking at?

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 62

Vip

We bought a Samsung recently which we're pleased with. Admittedly I'd prefer one more freezer drawer, but it was the best one going- at least this one doesn't have an ice maker or anything to restrict the freezer space further. It's a fridge-freezer rather than an American style one, but looks like it's supposed to be that way rather than one stacked on the other because my kitchen is too teeny, if you see what I mean.

smiley - fairy

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 63

Mol - on the new tablet

Make sure it has auto-defrost - it's worth the extra.

Mol

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 64

Vip

Ooops, mine isn't a Samsung, it's a Panasonic. It was down to those two brands as our final choices.

smiley - fairy

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 65

Geggs

Interestingly, this thread shows as 'vacuum cleaners' in my convo list, but when I look at the thread title here is adds '/fridges'.

Hmm. Does text after slashes in thread titles get ignored by the convo list? Must investigate.

Geggs

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 66

Vip

Nah, only the original subject line shows up in the My Convo popup, regardless of what it is changed to later.

smiley - fairy

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 67

You can call me TC

Agree on the auto-defrost. smiley - cheerssmiley - snowmansmiley - snowballsmiley - brr

I spent over three hours last weekend chiselling ice off my long-neglected freezer. I have separate fridge and freezer, so can't comment on the combination affairs.

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 68

Geggs

Ah, I thought it was a new thread. That'll be a post 60 mistake on my part then.

smiley - doh

Geggs

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 69

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - offtopic

The saddest sound in the whirled
is the hissing that occurs when
the ice pick punctures the coils
and all the freon begins to escape.

There is no stopping it; and there is
no escaping it. Something about the zero-
minus atmosphere gives the tiny whistling
a certain added poignancy that keeps one
frozen in the face of this poisonous stream.

Since the result is a totally useless fridge
it is one of the most expensive sounds you'll
ever hear. A rare and precious tone that one
avoids the rest for the rest of your life.
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 70

Teasswill

I wish auto defrost had been available when I got a new freezer. Was persuaded to give up my old faithful chest freezer for an upright - easier to access contents but I can't get so much in it & it ices up so quickly.

Vacuum cleaners/fridges

Post 71

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - ok
Yeah, hot air rises and cold air falls -
so a top opening chest is less likely
to lose its cold air than a front door
which literally spills its chill out
onto the floor.
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Key: Complain about this post