A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Tips for getting an Undergraduate Degree in the UK

Post 1

Z

This new job comes with my very own Undergrads who have to teach. I was trying to think of a quick talk about 'how not to totally smiley - bleep up this one expensive chance at an education'.

My opinions based on my own experience.

-Choose the right degree for the right reason.

-Turn up to lectures. Work out how you learn best, I learn best if I am making noted, some people like to listen. If you are given handouts you may still want to make notes as the lecturer will say stuff that aren't in the handouts.

- When you are given an essay to write it is a golden opportunity to actually understand the subject.

- What you will learn isn't just biology, geography or English etc, but how to understand different arguments, how to weight them up in the balance, and how to formulate an argument and express it clearly. You should not just know facts, but how we know that these are facts, what evidence supports them, and whether or not you believe it to be true.

The facts you learn may change but your degree should give you the tools to read new evidence as it comes out, weight it in the balance and decide for yourself.

-If you cheat you will not only cheat your colleagues who worked, but you will cheat yourself out of a chance to learn something.

Any others, particularly from those with arts degrees.,

Post 2

HonestIago

If you've only read the core texts, you've missed the point of higher education. Go out and read stuff that isn't on the required reading lists. Don't limit yourself to just textbooks and academic journals: if you think a TV programme makes a good argument or provides compelling evidence, figure out a way to use it.

Develop preferences and personal stances in issues and debates. While you've got to be able to argue for/from a range of different viewpoints it's also important to know where you stand. Hang out with people who disagree with you on issues, it'll help you hone your skills and see the wider arguments.

Be prepared to debate in a variety of different ways and see what makes a good argument in each method. Learn metadebating skills.

University isn't about studying: get a part-time job or volunteer. Join societies and have an active social life. It's a great chance to get work experience and gives you an insight into balancing everything. At some point do an all-nighter in the library/computer lab - it does happen in real life, experience it now so it isn't such a shock.

That's my insight from a philosophy/politics degree.

Post 3

Z

I've thought of another one.

At some point you will have to write a dissertation, this will carry a considerable amount of weight towards you final mark. Plan your time so you have plenty of time to write it properly, this is too important to leave until the last minute.

Pick a topic you are interested in, and discuss things with your supervisor she will give you a schedule which means that she will get to review your draft in plenty of time.

Do this, and stick to IT!

Post 4

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Work Hard, Play Hard.

Post 5

Alfster

Don't think the education system 'owes' you anything just because you have paid lots of money.

Don't p1ss off your lecturers. Don't try to undermine them with bad reviews just because they expect you to work and not to spoon feed you.

Attend lectures, do the work, *want* to succeed in the subject otherwise you won't. And if you do...why are you doing it if you aren't bothered about the degree?

Lets change the topic - what do you wish someone had told you before University?

Post 6

Z

It does owe you something. It owes you teaching. It owes you lectures that aren't cancelled at the last minute, it owes you library facilities and IT facilities. But you have to do the learning for yourself.

There will be times when you really hate your degree! Even if it's the most interesting subject in the world, you will find there are bits of it you don't enjoy.

Oh and the basic compulsory modules are usually their for a reason, they are often there to teach you how to understand the rest of it. My third lecture at medical school was entitled 'how to read a paper' I thought it would be pointless but it gave me critical appraisal skills that I have used almost continuously for the last 12 years. The same goes for statistics, if you can't understand the statistics needed to analyse the data you need in your science you can't really do the science.

Lets change the topic - what do you wish someone had told you before University?

Post 7

Alfster

<It does owe you something. It owes you teaching. It owes you lectures that aren&#39;t cancelled at the last minute, it owes you library facilities and IT facilities. But you have to do the learning for yourself.>

Indeed, taken as read from my point of view...it doesn't so much owe you that as provide it for you.

Having a very good friend who is a very good lecturer I've seen what a lot of students 'expect' and what a load of idiots seem to get on to courses these days...there are still a lot of excellent students who 'get' the contract tho...just a shame so many wasters take up the room of people who want to study...tho that's also the fault of Labour for wanting to get kids off the unemployment register.

Post 8

Tams

Hummm, what do I wish someone had told me... that&#39;s really hard. I got what I expected, I knew what would be needed of me, yet I still don&#39;t follow much of it. I suppose it would be: "Do you really want to go to university? The social life is unrivalled and the learning opportunities vast, all in one complete package. However, it is academic and their approach to learning may not suit you."

Post 9

Z

That's interesting: sounds like you're trying really hard.

What are you studying?

Post 10

Effers;England.

I had thought this looked like a great question but I really can't be a**ed to read any more crud on this site written in barlesque.

But Otto has pretty much nailed it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more