A Conversation for Ask h2g2

who are 'they'

Post 1

tabatha

'They' say that if you eat carrot, you can see better in the dark
'They' say that if you watch too much TV you will get square eyes
'they' say that if you eat all you vegies you'll grow up big and strong

'They', seem to know pretty much everything about everything. 'They' seem to have a very wide knowledge base and an opinion on pretty much anything, and I for one want to know

A: who are 'They'
B: on what do 'They' base their knowledge
C: were 'They' invented by people who knew stuff but didn't want to sound like 'know-it-all's
D: does anyone have any other thigs that 'They' say

cya
tab

PS, now that Ive pointed it out, you'll all notice that 'they' have infiltrated nearly every conversation on every topic that you ever have!!!!!

who are 'they'

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

"They" are old wives, and these are their tales.

who are 'they'

Post 3

tabatha

I reckon there's far more too it than that, sure the examples that I have given are a bit 'old wives tale'-ish... but 'They' know way more than just that

unfortunately I cant think of any examples right now...typical

cya
tab

who are 'they'

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

True enough - more dangerous still are the people doing the considering in phrases such as "It is considered good manners take your glass with your right hand".
Are these people part-time considerers? If not, who is paying them and how do we know there are no conflicts of interest?
Then we come to "todays consumer" who seems to go around demanding things like online catalogues and the like but doesn't seem to be buying things.
When I was younger, there used to be such things as "smart mothers" who knew that Fairy washed whiter and the like, but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo....along with "women of today" who always had their photos taken in the "kitchen of tomorrow" and ran everything on "the fuel of the future". All passé now.
Still, you know what they say......smiley - winkeye

who are 'they'

Post 5

tabatha

I'd never thought about the 'considerers' - now where do you get a job like that... I reckon Id be really good at it - I like the way you're thinking. And 'today's consumer' - well who exactly do they think they are (thats 'they' the consumer of today not the omnipotent 'They").... and what will happen to them tomorrow, will they just be 'Yesterday's consumer' as a whole new breed of 'today's consumer's come up for the 'today' of tomorrow, and who is traingin these consumers - now theres another job i'd like...teaching people to consume, AND have opinions about it. Do you reckon they're born into these postions of such responsibility, or do they somehow earn them......

Hmm so much to ponder

cya
tab

Removed

Post 6

LewiDenmark

This post has been removed.

who are 'they'

Post 7

The Groob

There is a good Far Side cartoon where people ring the 'they' office to find out what the 'they' people say.

BTW, 'they' say that heating up tea in the microwave is bad for you.

who are 'they'

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

the old wives know a thing or two.

who are 'they'

Post 9

Is mise Duncan

they certainly do - more that "the man in the street".

who are 'they'

Post 10

The Groob

None of them can compete with "bloke down the pub" though

who are 'they'

Post 11

The Snockerty Friddle

'They' know because 'They' are always watching you......

Doing a bit of deep past mining this am Spinks?

who are 'they'

Post 12

combattant pour liberte

They are part of an evil govt. conspiracy, of course. smiley - smiley
The govt. have put mind controlling additives in carrots and are getting old wives to convince us to eat them. Or maybe 'they' are just a succession of people who over the generations have developed sayings in order to encourage children to consume food that is beneficial to their health. Which do you think is more likely?

who are 'they'

Post 13

The Snockerty Friddle

'The govt. have put mind controlling additives in carrots '

It's twoo I tell you it's twoo, that's why they're orange, carrots should be purple but all the spooky stuff changed their colour.

who are 'they'

Post 14

milo

they're the people who killed kenny.

they're.. they're b*stards.

who are 'they'

Post 15

Mercury

http://www.ozyandmillie.net/2000/om20000724.html

who are 'they'

Post 16

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Sssssh! They'll hear you smiley - yikes

who are 'they'

Post 17

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

"Your mother may have told you to eat your carrots because they are good for eyesight. Don't look now, but your mother was right. Vitamin A, also known as beta-carotene or retinol, is not only important for vision but also for bones, skin and reproductive organ growth, hormone creation, and tissue repair."

http://ibscrohns.about.com/library/weekly/aa051001a.htm

see what i mean about old wives?

they're definitley not in league with the govt , though personally i think more old wives in parliament sounds like an excellent idea smiley - witch.

Key: Complain about this post