A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Psychic phenomena

Post 21

Kobolt - aka 'I didn't fail, I found 5000 ways that don't work'

So noone in this entire community believes that anyone has the ability to willfully enhance the power of their mind? I recently went to see the movie X-men, I pass that off as nonsense, but one line made me think:
'If God created the laws of science, then it is possible he could have created people who could break them'

Doesn't it just make you think a little bit?
PLEASE, does anyone here believe?

Psychic phenomena

Post 22

Kobolt - aka 'I didn't fail, I found 5000 ways that don't work'

Or does nobody here believe in God either?

Psychic phenomena

Post 23

Naughtiness (Tentacle Mistress, Goddess of Sadistic Soup Greens)

ESP is very real, and seems to be frowned upon by both Science and religion...
As I'm neither a Guru of the above, I am quite comfortable with its reality.
But like anything that is inexplanatory in the extreme it is feared and hence ridiculed...
(I'm begining to sound a little like an X men)

Psychic phenomena

Post 24

Niz (soon to be gone)

I must say that I am a non-believer. If it can't be touched, seen, smelt, taste or worked out using science then I'm afraid I don't believe in it. As of yet there has not been a single human being on the planet able to prove ESP. The remote viewing that was practised by the CIA in the 60's to spy on the Russian was dropped as an unreliable technique that gave results similar to guesswork. The difference was negligable at best!!
The modern spiritiual mediums that first surfaced in the 1890's were found to be frauds (Many by Houdini). Uri Geller has yet to take part in any independent trials, even the ones that offer a cash reward and a tv show that filmed him secretly showed him faking the spoon bending.
Anything that happens that could be ESP is either heresay or
co-incidence.

Psychic phenomena

Post 25

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

'If God created the laws of science, then it is possible he could have created people who could break them'

This is a common logical fallacy. Although we apply the same word to both our social rules and the immutable behaviors of nature, they are two entirely different kinds of "laws." The laws of nature are not simply written down, free to be disobeyed by every quark that wasn't breast-fed by its parental proton. Your X-Men dude is taking the word completely out of context.

And since you asked, no, I do not believe in a god.

Psychic phenomena

Post 26

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

Well, if there is a God then he should be able to break the laws of nature, that´s really what a miracle is isn´t it? And he could also create humans that could break the laws of nature. But first, wouldn´t we need to establish the existence of God then?

Yeah, Quantum Mechanics is the science that says we _can´t_ predict eevrything. It is the classical theories that claim we can. But I myself doesn´t like Quantum Mechanics because of the lack of determinism. I believe it should be possible to predict everything.

Okay, we don´t have any evidence in favour of ESP, but shouldn´t we also look at wether we have anything saying it might be happening? Not directly evidence, but something that we can´t really explain and could indicate it´s existence. I have found somethings that could indicate telepathy exists. So I think it is worth investigating. But I of course won´t believe in it untill it´s been proven.

Psychic phenomena

Post 27

Aaaaaaargh. If one more person.... *one more person*... uses quantum physics as a rationale for something which is entirely impossible, I shall start to get upset. I may even start complaining about how upset I am, and then where will we be?

Quoting 'quantum physics' does not give you the excuse to chuck away the rules of causality, directions of time, erratic bus time tables, or indeed virtually any rules at all. I know Star Trek does it, but it's not big, and it's not clever.

The reason it took scientists so long to come up with the whole quantum physics thing is that it *does not affect us at all*[1]. It only affects physicists doing very complex and sensitive experiments, and they don't seem to be entirely sure about it.

As far as I'm concerned, the only people with any right to draw bizzare conclusions from quantum physics are quantum physicists, and even they had better be careful about it.

[1] Okay, I admit, that's not exactly true. If quantum physics does indeed form the basis of reality, we wouldn't be here without it. Other than that, though, it's pretty insignificant to your average every-day life.

Psychic phenomena

Post 28

Potholer

A hearty atheistic amen to that, 26199. Quantum physics introduces probabilty as opposed to complete determinism, but it is terribly specific about what is actually possible or probable. Most of the people who misuse it (or chaos theory, or any other scientific theory) have no real idea what it means.

There are definite parallels with people who rabbit on about how 'they' mocked Gallileo/Newton/Wegener/whoever. Possibly 'they' (whoever 'they' are) *did*, but 'they' also mocked an incredible number of half-arsed theories with zero supporting evidence as well. However ignorant 'they' are, even 'they' are right most of the time. smiley - smiley

Psychic phenomena

Post 29

Hey, I was simply saying what Quantum Mechanics is and isn´t. I´m not saying it means that you could have ESP.

Psychic phenomena

Post 30

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

One time a long time ago (before caller ID) my father picked up the phone and said "Hi," and the person's name. He wasn't expecting the call or anything.

Psychic phenomena

Post 31

Gnomon - time to move on

I've been able to do that for years. I'm right about 90% of the time. It's because particular people ring you at particular times. People who don't tend to be ringing about something which needs to be discussed, which is on your mind as well as theirs.

Psychic phenomena

Post 32

I know, Xantic... if you look closely, you'll see I was replying to a much earlier post by someone else.

I'm not entirely daft, y'know smiley - smiley

Psychic phenomena

Post 33

Infact that is and isn't probably the most accurate statement made, in reference to Quantum mechanics.
*ROTFLMAO*

Psychic phenomena

Post 34

JK the unwise

/||
||
||

ERR?

Psychic phenomena

Post 35

JK the unwise

If God didnt
obey the laws
of causality
then it would be
impossible for
him/it to be in
any way coherent!
How could he control
him self let alone
others if he didn't
work in logical steps
surly if nothing was
beyond God at any time
he/it would have to
be doing all things at
all times and thus not
be a thing at all but
mearly a collection of
events!

Jk smiley - winkeye

Psychic phenomena

Post 36

I just remember a way that quantum mechanics effect our everyday lives. According to it, there is a certain possibility that all the particles of a thing can at the same time perform a quantum leap, and be at a whole other place. And it is of course because of this that things never are were we left them smiley - smiley

Quantum mechanics - the dream stuff is made of

Psychic phenomena

Post 37

Hagel : "to be is to do"
Satre : "to do is to be"
Sinatra: "do be do be do"

~throws hands in the air~

Removed

Post 38

Dogster

This post has been removed.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more