A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Breakfast

Post 1

Niz (soon to be gone)

I'm having a problem with breakfast that I hope can be solved here.

I like breakfast, it is one of my four favourite meals and the problem is I don't know what to have. I prefer a savoury for my brekkie which cuts off cereal, toast goes cold too fast plus what do you put on he toast (jam no good). It must be something that takes almost no preparation. Pate on toast is my tipple at the mo but it makes me burp all day and all I can taste is pate all the damn morning.

Any Ideas?smiley - bigeyes

Breakfast

Post 2

Cloviscat

Marmite. Mmmm smiley - bigeyes

Breakfast

Post 3

Mustapha

Where does one find time in the day for four straight meals, let alone breakfast?

I don't break my fast till about one in the afternoon (and no, that's not when I get up). Eating first thing in the morning just makes me feel heavy. But if I were to treat myself, then bacon and a poached or fried egg, with the yolk still runny would be the way to go. Oh and don't forget a little dash of black pepper, the spice of life. smiley - tongueout

Breakfast

Post 4

Niz (soon to be gone)

I haven't got time for 4 straight meals a day, I said breakfast was one of my four favourites, there is always time for more:

1) Breakfast
2) Brunch
3) eleven's
4) Lunch
5) mid afternoon snack
6) Tea
7) Dinner
8) Supper

Really there should be a snack between dinner and supper but that would be greedy now wouldn't it!! smiley - bigeyes

Warning: Rambling included

Post 5

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

Breakfast really is the hardest meal of the day. Unfortunatly, scientists claim it is also the most important. Someone should make an entry on Breakfast.
I do it the simple way: Two slices of bread with paste or cheese and a large glass of milk. I'm usually not in shape for anything more complicated.
On the other hand, christmas-breakfast (25th December where I come from) and New Years Breakfast (the first breakfast that year) deserve special attention. Usually there are about ten to fifteen people attending. These are close friends, family and whomever didn't make it home the night before. The meal consists of bread, loaves, other assorted pastry, meatsstuffs of all kind (rib, pork-chops, stuff I don't know what is called but tastes heavenly), jams of all kinds, mustard (or is it custard? I forget what is what... smiley - sadface), beer, milk, aquevitt (very important for all happy occations during the winter), wine and anything else you manage to eat or drink. The meal lasts from one or two in the afternoon well into the late evening.
That's a real breakfast.

Was this off topic? Nah..

JAR, rambling

Warning: Rambling included

Post 6

Chili

SOunds a bit heavy to me for New years day. Thats usually the of the year, where it is quite an effort for me to think about food, without spewing all over the place...

Anyway the best breakfast combination is this: black coffee, a cigarette.

Easy to prepare, easy to consume, just plain perfect...

Chili, nicotine and caffeine addict

Breakfast

Post 7

Zorpheus - I'm so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

The only time I can ever make a good breakfast is on the weekends and that's few and far between. But when I do get the chance I do it right. I have eggs,turkey bacon, some kind of fresh fruit, and english muffins smothered in butter. I usually try to make an omelet out of the eggs (with mushrooms, fried green peppers, cheese, onions, red pepper, salt, pepper and just about anything else in the fridge that catches my intrest) but 9 times out of 10 I screw it up and just end up having them scrambled. It's still my favorite, although clean up is a pain.
That's why I usually just have a breakfast bar in my car on the way to work.

Breakfast

Post 8

Lipsbury Pinfold (Part-time Timelord)

Best breakfast I've ever had was day old chocolate pavlova with cream and a can of coke - as well as being yummy it is also a great hangover cure so would probably be good for New Years Day

(Hot Bacon and Brie roll with cranberry jelly and a pot of tea is pretty good as an everyday breakfast)

Breakfast

Post 9

Abi

mmmm that roll sounds good. In fact any kind of bacon roll is good.

Tea (and lots of it) and scrambled eggs on toast made with fresh duck eggs. Cholesterol city central! smiley - bigeyes

Breakfast

Post 10

Lipsbury Pinfold (Part-time Timelord)

Baileys Irish Cream & Maltesers is another good breakfast - but not for everyday.

Breakfast

Post 11

You can call me TC

What about the old fashioned kedgeree?

Breakfast

Post 12

You can call me TC

What about the old fashioned kedgeree?

Key: Complain about this post