A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why is google so stupid (part 2)?

Post 1

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I just did a search that included the word 'rationale', and most of the hits are for the word 'rational' smiley - grr

Of the first hundred hits, there are only 27 instances of the word 'rationale'.

Is google now assuming that most people can't spell or don't know the word they're looking for?

Why can't they give the option - 'exact search' or 'the search where we tell you what (we think) you're really looking for'?

Post 2

taliesin

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google+advanced+search

smiley - winkeye

Post 3

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> Is google now assuming that most people can't spell or don't know the word they're looking for? <<

Good point. Lately I've been feeling terribly patronised by their assumptions.
Instead of showing results for what I type they give me a load of other crap.
User friendliness is starting to get creepy.

I'm sure they mean well, in a cold impersonal mechanistic soulless corporate way,
but if a real actual person and not a machine did that to me more than once or twice
I'd feel the need to check them for being so damned 'previous'.

That said, I'm sure Tal's linked advice will prove helpful.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 4

You can call me TC

Search "rationale" -"rational"

That should work. I think that's right. See what happens if you fill in the "Advanced Search" by putting the word "rational" in the "excluding word..." box.

PS - I've just tried it. The search bar should look like this:

rationale -rational

Post 5

taliesin

Wordnet is kinda smiley - cool

http://goo.gl/pOdU

And I made a browser search plugin for it.

Hootooers may download it here:

http://goo.gl/zodY

smiley - chocolateteapot

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

When I do a search on google, one of the first things it says before the search result list, is 'showing results for "our correction of your speling", l click here to search instead for "your own batly tiped and mismelt search string"

(of course the bits between the "'s is the corrected and origional search you enter in the edit field ... smiley - erm

Qwite youseful for me is google being able to spel, one lez thing I kneed to wory about geting rite. smiley - erm

Post 7

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I don't mind them offering a 'we'll spell it for you' option, 2legs. I just object to not having the choice of an exact search. Given that they offer a number of different ways to search, how hard would it be to build that in?

Taliesin and TC, I was using Advanced Search. I just don't think I should have to tell google to omit a word that they've put in that I didn't want ask for in the first place. I mean, obviously I do do that all the time, because adv search helps limit the number of hits. But google are increasing the number of useless hits right from the start.

Post 8

clovitron

Personally, I find the most annoying thing about google is being inundated with links trying to sell me something...

And yes, the spelling thing gets annoying at times.

Post 9

U14241472

its realy stupid

Post 10

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Hmm!I'm wondering about the days when there were NO search engines...What it must have been like...smiley - winkeye

Post 11

taliesin

We had the Whole Earth Catalog, man! smiley - cool

Post 12

And now online smiley - biggrin

http://www.wholeearth.com/index.php

(some of it at least, although the website is a bizarrely user unfriendly smiley - headhurts It used to be easier than that)

Post 13

>>...some of it at least...<< All the bomb and drug making bits have been edited out I think. Just like a current thread is being severely moderated for mentioning bombs. It was started by Christopher who's writing a novel and asked for advice about the audible range of explosions. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F19585?thread=7568171&skip=0&show=20 They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. But anyone seeking information or expertise in certain areas is probably a terrorist. ~jwf~

Post 14

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Google gives me the option to search for exactly what I type in and also an option for a corrected search. Google obviously hates yousmiley - tongueout*

*at first I typed which should be a smiley reserved for 2leg's journals only! And it's the second time I've typed it today!

Post 15

What's a corrected search?

To be fair ~jwf~, the post has been referred, not removed smiley - winkeye

Post 16

Fair? FAIR??!
When have I ever been fair?
This is cyberspace. No sticks, no stones.
Just nukes from orbit.

smiley - winkeye
~jwf~

Post 17

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

<>

My own term for when google corrects your spelling.smiley - smiley

Post 18

taliesin

An(other), perhaps superior, google alternative: http://ixquick.com/eng/

It offers much better privacy, and even an anonymization proxy

There's a browser search-engine add-on, too!

Post 19

You can call me TC

There used to be such a variety of search engines, yahoo, altavista, metacrawler etc etc. Does no one use them any more?

Post 20

What are the transparent stars for beside each hit? If you click on them they turn yellow.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more