A Conversation for Ask h2g2

iPad

Post 1

leroy

With the launch of the ipad in a few days time does anybody know if the internet web surfing will allow full content as in ordinary computers or will it be limited to the basic website info as in mobiles etc.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

iPad

Post 2

Hapi - Hippo #5

as far as I know there are no plans to support adobe flash on the iPad. That stops you from playing most cheap internet games and watching most silly videos on the iPad.
it also stops you having fun out of the internet, although Hootoo doesn't use adobe flash smiley - smiley

iPad

Post 3

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

I think it will be able to show normal webpages as the screen is big enough to see the whole webpage clearly, which you couldn't on phones, hence the mobile version of web-pages.

And Hapi is right about flash. Other than that, why not wait for some of the other tablets to come out that don't have an apple symbol on them? Most of the other will show flash and aren't controlled by apple.smiley - smiley

iPad

Post 4

hygienicdispenser

This seems to suggest you'll be able to do what you want:

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/features/safari.html

iPad

Post 5

Doesn't all marketing?

One of issues with apple is that for programs to be accepted into the App Store Apple has to approve, and they uses a bizarre set of guidelines, (no duplicated functionality, is I believe one of them). And apple can just not allow it in if they don't want to. If I buy a bit of hardware I want to decide what runs on it, not the company I bought it from.

iPad

Post 6

hygienicdispenser

Yes marketing will spin things, but out-and-out lying is illegal. So if the web-site says :

" Because Safari supports the latest web video and audio innovations in HTML5, you can enjoy the rich multimedia experience you expect from the Internet."

Then that's what it does, which is what leroy wanted to know.

iPad

Post 7

<>

Just because it supports them doesn't mean people are using them, and besides, how much of the web is using HTML5?

Leroy wanted to know <>

Yes it will show full sized web-pages, but, what about "full content"? It won't support Flash so you're not getting the full content.

If I expect to play a youtube video on an iPad it won't work, so it's not lying about HTML5 but it's not mentioning other options that won't work.

iPad

Post 8

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

leroy >>With the launch of the ipad in a few days time does anybody know if the internet web surfing will allow full content as in ordinary computers or will it be limited to the basic website info as in mobiles etc.

Neither.

Put very simply, depending on which you bought, you'd either have wi-fi enabled mp3 player or phone/mp3 player that could provide superior web content that either of those have before, but vastly inferior to the power and flexibility of say my HP Pavillion dm3 which will likely have cost me less than the largest capacity iPad will go on sale for, but is not significantly less portable.

iPad

Post 9

Hapi - Hippo #5

smiley - rofl .. iPad may support HTML5

HTML5 may be *the* future of the internet

and hippos may indeed learn to dance

Key: Complain about this post