A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The Human Gnome Project

Post 1

Shellers (Master of wit and ready repartee)

No matter where I turn these days, in TV, newpapers, magazines, I see constant references to the Human Gnome Project and how its completion is of great importance in the field of medical research.

Now I don't know if I'm missing something here, but nowhere have I seen anything to explain how a bunch of little bearded chaps with funny hats who sit around on toadstools or fishing can have anything to with curing disease, increasing lifespan etc.

Does anyone know how all this works? Have these guys been contemplating the mystery of life, the universe and everything for all these years while I just assumed that they were sitting there doing nothing.

The Human Gnome Project

Post 2

prez

"They also serve - those who sit and wait"

The Human Gnome Project

Post 3

prinsesse

the human genome progect is a buch of old chaps trying to map out every gene on each of the 46 chromosomes in the human body....through this they hope to cure genetic dissorders....though that is very far in the future considering every cell affecting the dissorder would have to have the chromosomes changed.

The Human Gnome Project

Post 4

Abi

The only problem is keeping all the genetic information in the public domain. A similiar example, an American company have copyrighted the genetic code for basmati rice and are now sueing the Indian government on behalf of the Indian nation for copyright infringement.

Quite a few of the American scientists are trying to patent human genes which is worrying to say the least.

The Human Gnome Project

Post 5

Omicron - Master of Hyperspace and Chanter of arcane superstring equations

I always thought the guys who patented basmati rice were a bunch of nuts, to say the least. I mean I've tasted the American version of basmati rice, and it isn't anywhere near the real thing...

P.S - Yes, I'm Indian...

The Human Gnome Project

Post 6

Abi

I agree with you on the rice front - proper basmati rice is the most heavenly thing on earth.

The Human Gnome Project

Post 7

Ermmmm...

Two points -

Firstly, I only posted this as a joke which occurred to me the first time I saw the project mentioned.

Secondly, personally I too love basmati rice, but I beg to disagree about it being the most heavenly thing on earth, and point you in the direction of Saint Galaxy Babe's entry http://www.h2g2.com/A383357

The Human Gnome Project

Post 8

ox

Gee, pardon me Shellers, but I love Basmatti rice and just discovered there's a possibility I've missed out on the real deal. *yes, I'm a Yank*

The Human Gnome Project

Post 9

Abi

Yeah I thought the original posting was very funny - but it raised important points that a lot of people are interested in. No one can afford to ignore what is going on - even if they do not wish to comment on it.

and 2) We all have different ideas on what constitutes heaven on earth and all our ideas are valid! smiley - smiley Ask me again tomorrow and I would probably choose soemthing different.

Right who wants a cup of tea?

The Human Gnome Project

Post 10

ox

Ah, heaven indeed in a good cup of tea!

The Human Gnome Project

Post 11

Now I'll drink to that smiley - smiley

Sorry if I offended anyone - it wasn't intentional (honest), but from the first few postings it just seemed that people thought my original posting was serious. Even though I'm only a northerner (flat cap, whippet etc) I understand the important issues here but the first time I saw the name of this project in print it immediately conjured up the image of the little guy on the toadstool pondering these things.

As for the basmati rice question, I'm a great believer in the 'each to his/her own' principle and wasn't arguing with anyone but merely pointing out that there's now a forum on the subject (what's heavenly, not basmati rice).

The Human Gnome Project

Post 12

Abi

The role of Gnomes and Elves in modern society is very undervalued smiley - winkeye

The Human Gnome Project

Post 13

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Don't doscriminate against the Pixies and Sprites

The Human Gnome Project

Post 14

ox

And please don't genetically alter, abuse, or clone them.

The Human Gnome Project

Post 15

This is supposed to be a gnome forum, but I do know a good goblin joke and as this is a family site...

The Human Gnome Project

Post 16

prinsesse

can i get a patent on your goblin joke?

The Human Gnome Project

Post 17

ox

Come on with the joke, come on with the joke...

The Human Gnome Project

Post 18

A little chap - you know, funny trousers, pointed hat & beard - is sitting in a little glade in the woods rocking backwards and forwards on a toadstool, bent over with his head in his lap and his hands holding his head, when an elf comes along and says, 'Are you a goblin?'

He replies, 'No, I've got a headache' smiley - smiley

The Human Gnome Project

Post 19

ox

????????????????????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Human Gnome Project

Post 20

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

I have broken the genetic code of the preceding joke, cloned it, and claim full patent rights. This will aid medical research in many obvious ways. As evidence of this, I present the cloned joke:

A little chap - you know, funny trousers, pointed hat & beard - is sitting in a little glade in the woods rocking backwards and forwards on a toadstool, bent over with his head in his lap and his hands holding his head, when an elf comes along and says, 'Are you a goblin?'

He replies, 'No, I've got a '

The cloning process is not yet perfected, and there may be slight, inconsequential differences from the original.

Key: Complain about this post