A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Name-O-Matic Generator Thingy

Post 21

Emar, the Flying Misfit... Yes, seriously, he's back...

Ooh! Ooh! As long as I'm on the whole Lovecraft bend, a good name for a ship would be the "Cthulonic Horror."

Post 22

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

On the Lovecraftian theme, you could take a container of thick, disgusting pink gloop and call it "Yog"... Oh, wait, someone already has...* smiley - bigeyes

(* It's a "supermarket own brand" version of Yopp Yoghurt drink!)

Post 23

Ellee

I would say a rock group Malpractice should put out an album called Lively Coma.

Post 24

Let me guess. It opens onto blasphemous vistas from the eldricht nether-reaches of fruit-flavored lactose?

Post 25

Good lord, ANOTHER ship name: "Netherstar"

Post 26

prez

Some years ago, I think in the Financial Times, there was a batch of correspondence about the, then, modern tendency to invent management and business related phrases.
These phrases always had three words (Reflected today in three letter computer terms: CPU; VDU, RAM etc) and culminated in someone inventing the "Instant Buzzword Generator" (IBG today I expect).
With this handy device you simply took any word from each list in turn to produce a vast number of meaningless but impressive three word terms with which to confound your colleagues.
I can't remember all the words but a few examples:

List 1:
Instant
Internal
External
Common
Subjective

List 2:
Cash-flow
Product
Flow
Objective
Budget

List 3:
Analysis
Application
Result
Management
Scenario

The original had about 20 words in each list. Anyone remember this or help extend the list?

Post 27

Stormtrooper in Stilettos

How DO u change your researcher name? Please help me! I can't be a number all my life

Post 28

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Click on "Preferences", and you can change it there. I don't know where it is in Alabaster, but if you add "&skin=classic" to the end of the URL for your page it'll appear in "Goo", and the "Preferences" button is to the left of the screen, second from the bottom... smiley - bigeyes

Preferences button

Post 29

In Alabaster, it's up on the top row, third from the right.

Namez

Post 30

How about if you got two drunken barber shop quartets to join together and form the "Inebrie eight"...? smiley - bigeyes

cool band name

Post 31

Researcher 148284

cool name for a band (unused) "ratman champion"

this idea is great.... it needs to be on the front page as a link or something so everyone can see......
"got a cool name for a band, or company? But have no musical skill or business prowess? click here to submit your great idea!"

cool band name

Post 32

Remember how they tried to revitalise the Scooby Doo show by introducing new characters? How about doing the same with Casper the Friendly Ghost?...

Posthumous Possum

Decaying Dawg (Formerly "Spooky Spaniel")

Rotting Rat

Autopsy Aardvaark

Cremated Crustacean

etc... smiley - bigeyes

Post 33

Right, I'm working on it. I've already written Peta, and I got a response, but my subsequent reply went unanswered (I'm sure our community editor is pretty busy). So if this thing is to fulfil my vision of an updated article, I may have to bite the bullet and take matters into my own hands. Now, I have some basic HTML skills (I know zilch about GuideML). It's enough to set up the pages, create links to categorical lists, play around with the fonts, that sort of thing. But just don't expect any ultra-fancy things here.

Post 34

Have a rake around the guide - there's a few pages with fancy "random quote" javascript thingies. Just steal the code (or ask nicely, whichever you prefer smiley - smiley) and put one for each category on the page - each time you refresh the page you get one random band name, one random researcher name, one Lovecrtaftian reference etc...?

Post 35

That's a good idea. Really makes me bemoan the fact that I know squat about Java. My HTML knowledge is limited to a few basic tags. Help us out here, people;...

...ONE of you HAS to be competent!!

Post 36

No-one has ever accused me of being competent, but I *do* know that Javascript has nothing to do with Java, apart from the name which was licenced from Sun by Microsoft in order to associate their new scripting language with a relatively established programming language...

Post 37

So I was wrong. If anything, though, that proves that I should not be entrusted with setting up the Javascript thing (assuming that the Javascript-dealy WILL be the final form of the Name-O-Matic).

Post 38

Omicron - Master of Hyperspace and Chanter of arcane superstring equations

We've got a popular Jay Leno ripoff out here in India...they've got a group called "The Rubber Band." Pretty unimaginative, if you ask me...

Post 39

Munchkin

A couple of names we thought up for autobiographys included "Going to a Ceilidh in a plywood Dalek" and "Putting babies on spikes" I have always wanted to call a pub "Donnie Murdo" (Gaelic for Danger Mouse, but I don't have to tell anyone) or perhpas "The Duck and Parry"

Post 40

Man, I was like six or thereabouts when Dr. Who was the stuff, so I just barely get that Dalek reference (and what the hell is Ceilidh?).

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more