A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Computer memory sticks

Post 1

I'm not really here

My son wants a memory stick for the computer because he uses the school computer a lot and I haven't got a floppy disc drive, so he can't bring work home.

I'm hoping to get one from eBay - they have loads of choice on there!

Is there anything that I should be looking out for with one of these? Do they work with all computers, or do you need a special one or something?

He's mostly going to be transferring text I think so size isn't really an issue, but I don't want to buy one and get it all wrong...

Any advice?

Computer memory sticks

Post 2

Wiro

Do you know that memory sticks are being used by other people when at school?

I think that would be the main issue rather than the stick itself.

example is my school - yes its a secondary school, and your sons in the primary school.
prior to christmas there was only 1 computer room in the school where memory sticks would run. the school has since upgraded some of the rooms which pushes the number upto about 3 computerrooms out of the entire school that can handle the sticks.

So basically check with the school to see if they know that their current set up can handle the sticks, and if not set it up so that it can be done.

Computer memory sticks

Post 3

I'm not really here

The school is set up - his teacher uses a memory stick, which is why he wants one.

Anyone know anything about them?

Computer memory sticks

Post 4

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Maybe diverting the thread but, I use a 256mb, Iomega mini drive. Most pc's have USB ports. But I'm surprised the school would allow any external devices as they are being blamed for virus spread.

Computer memory sticks

Post 5

Whisky

If what you're talking about is what we call in France a "Clé USB" (USB keyfob) they just plug into a USB port on your computer...

If you're running Windows 2000 or XP it'll automatically recognise the thing in windows explorer and you can drag and drop files to it as you would to a hard drive or floppy.

We've found that for some obscure reason on our computers with Windows 98 that when you plug them in you've got to install special drivers before they'll work.

So, the important questions...

1) What OS are you running?

2) Where are the USB ports on your computer?

If they're round the back of the computer and the computer itself is hidden under a desk with half a mile of cable spaghetti behind it then you might want to consider getting some kind of USB port replicator to go on your desk - otherwise you'll be on your hands and knees under the desk every time you want ot plug the thing in.

Computer memory sticks

Post 6

Good points. I run XP at home and work so they work well but you're right about USB access. My Dell at home has USB's on the front and even they are a pain as they are at an angle. Good for big multi media files

Computer memory sticks

Post 7

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

I bought a couple in the Maplins sale a few weeks back, but they've probably all sold out now. smiley - erm They did, however, come with a USB extension lead, so if your ports are round the back you can leave this lead plugged in and plug the memory stick (or any other USB device) into the other end.

Computer memory sticks

Post 8

Zak T Duck

You'll need to find out whether the school will allow him to use it. A lot of schools have strict policies on the hardware and software both staff and students are allowed to use, and things such as memory keyfobs could be considered a virus and security risk (yeah I know it's daft but better to verge on the over-cautious than take out their entire network).

Your best bet would be to ask his teacher (who may in turn need to get the all clear from the IT department and/or head) before you start buying one.

Computer memory sticks

Post 9

Mu Beta

"A lot of schools have strict policies on the hardware and software both staff and students are allowed to use"

Software, yes. But hardware rules are fairly relaxed in most school by my experience.

If you're going to buy one, buy it quick. The hard-memory market has been fluctuating up and down for the last couple of years, and is currently in a trough. Buy before the prices go up again.

B

Computer memory sticks

Post 10

Flying Betty- Now with added nickname tag!

As long as you have a fairly recent computer with a USB port easily accessable, go ahead and get one. If you're on an older machine you might want to look at some new ones to see what operating system they support, and see if there are drivers available for things that aren't plug and play compatible. You can get a new 128MB drive for about US$25 which should be more than sufficient unless he writes novels in his spare time. I have one that holds about 30 mp3 files plus a handful of documents that I like to have with me. I'm not sure what the price difference between new and used is, and how quickly the drives deteriorate, but they're quite handy to have.

Computer memory sticks

Post 11

Mu Beta

1 Novel = 30,000 words = 1MB. Writing novels shouldn't be a problem. smiley - biggrin

B

Computer memory sticks

Post 12

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

You might want to check the USB 1/USB 2 thing. They should be compatible with each other with no trouble, but USB 2 is significantly faster.

You might also consider flash memory cards, although the school might not have computers set up with a card reader. They're good because you can plug some readers into a Firewire port, which is really fast. Most digital cameras use flash memory cards, so they can serve a dual purpose.

Regarding viruses, I don't think there should be any threats with USB sticks that there wouldn't with a floppy disc or cd. Viruses are seriously over-hyped anyway.

Computer memory sticks

Post 13

Mu Beta

That's asking for trouble BB. smiley - winkeye

B

Computer memory sticks

Post 14

Lizzbett

Digressing slightly - my home computer refuses to recognise the USB Flash stick thingy that I use at work. Both PC's are recent purchases and both have the same operating system (Windows XP) - anyone know why my home PC cannot recognise the stick?

Computer memory sticks

Post 15

I'm not really here

Thanks for the help - I've got a fairly new machine with windows XP. USB ports on the front *and* on the back, and it's for a laptop at school, so they'll all be easy to access. The school is fine with him using them at school - it's actually part of his 'school action plus'. I think I am move worried about a virus coming home than they are about him bringing one in!

He doesn't write novels, but he does write short stories. Mostly military horror. smiley - erm When he gets the memory stick and can bring the files home I expect they'll go online somewhere. You can all read my ten year old's twisted imagination then. smiley - winkeye

Thanks again!

Computer memory sticks

Post 16

I'm not really here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51074&item=5175322514&rd=1

Does this one look ok? I'm not really sure what features I should be looking for.

Computer memory sticks

Post 17

Mina, At that price you can't go wrong. It's USB2 and 1258mb is loads of memory. Suck it and see.

Computer memory sticks

Post 18

I'm not really here

smiley - oksmiley - ta

It's mine now!

Computer memory sticks

Post 19

I'm not really here

Well, it's J's when he gives me the money. smiley - biggrin

Computer memory sticks

Post 20

Whisky

smiley - rofl Never had you down as being quite so niaive Mina...

He's only ten, by the time he gets to 18 he'll probably owe you thousands of pounds like that smiley - winkeye

"Mum, can I borrow a fiver?"

Get used to that phrase, you'll probably be hearing a lot of it in the future.

Key: Complain about this post