A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Making a will (UK centric)

Post 1

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

I've been in hospital recently, and although all went well, it set me thinking about making a will because I don't have one at the moment. I've got no particular reason to make one - I've no reason to think I'll be needing it soon, I've no dependants, and my financial affairs are fairly straightforward. However, it's neater and tidier, and would make life much easier if I do get hit by the proverbial bus.

I know there's A738821 about making a will, but I'd be grateful for any advice or experiences of will making. The options seem to be just to go to a solicitor and pay a bit more or try one of these internet el cheapo or make your own will kits. The quality of these looks variable, and I'm not sure that they're all properly authenticated. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Post 2

Rod

We have twice done it (and again soon).
All with a solicitor.
Wouldn't do it otherwise.

You have no dependants, but relatives you may want to benefit?
Perhaps you should check it out - in case Gree don Brown or his successors claim it?

Post 3

I'm not really here

I made a will through my solicitors when I got divorced. At the time I didn't own anything over £500, but I did have a dependant so really I was just listing guardians.

Now I have more assets I would like to update it, as well as make provision for my dogs (silly to some, but to me and dog rescue, essential) but I would always go through a solicitor.

Sometimes you can find solicitors doing them for £40 for a short period to get people in through the doors. Never underestimate having a will, it is a LOT easier for the people left behind, even if you only say 'give everything to charity' or 'everything goes to one person'.

Post 4

NPY

Makes sense to leave provision for children or pets, even if it's who you want to look after them. It may be easy in that it's your other half, but if yopu're seperated/divorced/widowed, it's important.

Heard someone say that it's vital to be specific. Like some people would say "I want all my worldly goods to pass to my grandchildren", which seems clear enough. But then what if one of your grandkids dies before you, or more grandkids are born after your death?

Definately meet with a solicitor for advice and help, even if it's just with the legalities of it all.

Interesting thing I heard recently was that if you have a child who's been adopted, they don't inherit anything on your death unless you specify in a will coz they've been adopted out of your family into another.

Post 5

I'm not really here

Also it's best to name people, because saying 'my eldest child' if you've had kids and then been married the first child born after the marriage will be considered the eldest, not the actual eldest. Same with any children that have been adopted - the date of the adoption will count, *not* the adopted child's date of birth.

Very odd laws we still have. smiley - cross

Post 6

NPY

Yeah, heard that too. If you say something like "my cousins" then loads of people could say they're your cousins, or you get tied between first cousins, your parents cousins, your cousins kids etc. Even give maden names and addresses as well to be totally clear.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more