A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How Does This Advert Work?

Post 1

Mu Beta

"Hello, my name's Barry Scott, here to talk to you about new Cillit Bang."

This terribly poor advert seems to have remained lodged in the national consciousness. Why? How?

Most poor adverts tend to resonate of "Oh yeah, that mobile phone one" or "The one for the car...", without people ever actually remembering brand names. So how on earth has Cillit Bang remained lodged in the brain. Is it just because of the ridiculous name, or is the advert doing something right? Hell, I can even remember the name of the daft sod hosting it...

B

Post 2

The Doc

Cillit what?

Post 3

Mu Beta

Bang!

B

Post 4

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

What the Hell's a Cillit Bang?

smiley - ale

Post 5

The Doc

Apart from a possibly dodgy misspelling? smiley - winkeye

Post 6

Whisky

smiley - erm Is it just me or is Master B making even less sense than usual...

smiley - online2long

What the flying **** are you talking about man???

Post 7

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

I'm assuming it's some sort of catchy ad that's out at the minute. Since you live in France and I rarely watch commercial television, we've both missed it.

smiley - ale

Post 8

Whisky

"Since you live in France"

smiley - online2long

**looks around him in confusion**

Damn, you're right!!! I wondered why everone was speaking with a silly accent and reeking of Garlic - I always thought I was in Derby smiley - nahnah

Post 9

Mu Beta

http://ulterior.razorhead.co.uk/article/535/bang and many others seem to spending a lot of column inches on it.

B

Post 10

Is mise Duncan

The advert is on every single break in murdochland, but it hasn't worked to the extend of getting me to buy the stuff. Is the presenter supposed to be someone famous or what?

Post 11

IctoanAWEWawi

the only reason I remember that advert is due to wondering what exactly they put in it. Must be extremely caustic. The example where it shines a penny merely by dipping the oxidised penny in the liquid and back out again makes me really wonder whether I'd want to have the stuff anywhere in my house. Presumably asbestos gloves are required to use it, and lead lined floor coverings to protect carpets and the like.

Post 12

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

lol i think there trying (and failing) at the american shopping channels mentality of stuffing your brain with 700 examples of the fluids cleasing power within 30 seconds

the only thing thats missing is the annoying dude goin' ("really? it really cleans like that? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE PRODUCT IM PEDDALING IS EVEN THOUGH IM BEING POAID BY THE COMPANY")

Post 13

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Re the penny, there is a brief flash of small print to tell you that the penny was in there substatially longer than shown, but I can't remember how long. Anyone remember (surely everyone did this at school?) how long it takes coke to clean a penny?

Post 14

Mu Beta

About a week. Phosphoric acid is not too strong. smiley - ok

B

Post 15

designmonkey AKA George The Gay Hippo

My partner thought that it was a spoof advertisemnet it's soooo bad, but not as bad as the toilet roll ad with the 2 sisters, I had to turn over when that 1 came on.
DM

Post 16

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I hope they fired the person who though Cillit Bang was a good name for a product.

Post 17

It IS a good name for a product and a great advertising campaign I mean we are all chatting about it now and we all know the name so it must do something right.
DM

Post 18

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Hmmm... now that I think about it rubbish names for things DO work. It's like the cliche that if you called a film S**t everybody would go to see it just for the novelty value

–––––––––-–-
Ask Mr. Dreadful: A3473435
I’m Listening. smiley - pirate

Post 19

and if in a couple of years they cange the name from cillit bang to superkleen or something ('cause they find out that cillit bang is a particularly bad insult to someones mother in brazil) there will be a thread on here called 'cillit bang- bring back the old name'
DM

Post 20

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

lol

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more