A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Question for guitarists

Post 1

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

I'm looking for a Xmas & birthday (combined) smiley - gift for Grandad, he's vaccillating between a Gibson Black Beauty and a Les Paul what do you think?

Question for guitarists

Post 2

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

As no guitarists have replied you could try this:

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_lp_custom_black_beauty.html

Might help...smiley - smiley

Question for guitarists

Post 3

Jimbob - Got a Favourite Band? Tell Us All About It at A2464355

smiley - ok

Grandad is a very lucky chap.

A Gibson Black Beauty is actually just a variation on the Les Paul - it's black and gold, also known as the Les Paul Custom.

So the question is 'what type of Les Paul does Grandad want?'. Gibson don't make a Black Beauty themselves anymore so a proper Black Beauty will be second hand, possibly vintage and very expensive. Epiphone, Gibson's 'second line' company make a new one, however, which looks cool and will be cheaper.

Alternatively, there are lots and lots of variations on the 'Les Paul' style. Classic types are Goldtops (with a gold sparkle finish) and Cherry Sunburst (fading from yellow in the middle to red at the edges) and are all lovely. There are also some nice signature models designed with the help of famous guitarists.

Hope that helps, and happy shopping! smiley - smiley

Question for guitarists

Post 4

Danny B

Is this a surprise present? If not, perhaps the best way to choose (and the one that I'd use, if I were in any danger of being able to afford such a guitar smiley - sigh) would be to take Grandad out shopping and try out both to see which sounded/played the best. I'm not sure I'd want to spend a huge amount of money on a guitar I'd never played...

Question for guitarists

Post 5

smiley - biggrin

Hi Danny. I know, I'm intensely jealous as well. Still, think I'd stick to my Tele custom, it's easier on the shoulders... smiley - laugh

Question for guitarists

Post 6

Danny B

Well, I've got a Les Paul Studio model, which is very nice, but it's not quite the real thing...

Question for guitarists

Post 7

Nice though. My dad had a Les Paul Standard for a while, which was very tasty (and heavy). He swapped it for an SG Pete Townsend Signature model, which is absolutely brilliant and a lot more playable.

Question for guitarists

Post 8

Alfster

I agree with Danny here. The guitar to be bought HAS to be played by the person who is going to be drooling over it for years to come. If grandad knows Les Pauls are heavy great he knows what he is in for! But he still needs to make sure he is happy with it intonation and action ? if he isn?t get the shop to sort it out ? if you are paying big bucks for the guitar then make sure it is just right.

Also, never buy a guitar without the traditional freebies: new set of strings, a few plecs and normally a cloth carry bag (for a guitar over a grand buy a hardcase). The shops pretty much expect it and for the price you pay so should you.

Question for guitarists

Post 9

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

<>

smiley - laugh One of the guitar's he's got is a Yamaha SG 3000S, one of, if not the, heaviest about smiley - yikes

He's had a Les Paul Sunburst in the past and only sold it because he was made redundant ages ago. I'll get the shop to set it up and I'm enough of a guitarist/technician to check out the action and the feedback etc.smiley - yikes.

One of his other guitars is a Gordon Smith Gypsy II and it's rockin', I've enquired about another Gordy for him but there's one heck of a waiting list smiley - sadface

Question for guitarists

Post 10

Grandad surely has the shoulders of Atlas himself. Or a very padded strap.smiley - biggrin

You occasionally see second hand Gordon Smiths around, well worth a punt if you can fnd one. Either way, I'm sure he'll be a happy Grandad indeed come the 25th. smiley - smileysmiley - bubbly

Question for guitarists

Post 11

He uses a wide leather strap that a friend made for him smiley - smiley I'd recommend Gordys to anyone who wants a really hard sound smiley - headhurtssmiley - evilgrin

Question for guitarists

Post 12

OccasionallyCoherant...Dirk me Gently

Why not get him what he REALLY wants?
A Fender Strat.smiley - biggrin

Question for guitarists

Post 13

smiley - groansmiley - ill No thanks smiley - ill

Question for guitarists

Post 14

ok.ok.
If your into les pauls .....
get your grandfather a "fretless wonder"
A Les paul with no fret wire at all.

Three chords,two fingers,and the truth!

Question for guitarists

Post 15

*laugh* He's added a PRS to his wish list as well smiley - headhurts. Why can't he be satisfied with socks, undies & aftershave!!

Come to think of it I wouldn't be married to him if he was THAT type of fella smiley - laugh

Question for guitarists

Post 16

a PRS smiley - drool ?

Go for that. I'd have one in a heartbeat and will do one day. smiley - biggrin

Question for guitarists

Post 17

Well I've been out today and tried both the Gibsons & I can't decide which either smiley - sadface It's off the to PRS stockists tomorrow - if it's good enough for Carlos.........smiley - winkeye

Question for guitarists

Post 18

Hey Granny, how was the PRS?

smiley - biggrin

I'm thinking of selling all my guitars and getting one... smiley - tongueout

Question for guitarists

Post 19

xmas?
start with his fav pick,(plectrum)
then give him a pack of ernie balls
put on a Les Paul and Mary ford cd
give him the guitar
on boxing day pull out the Fender Twin
New year's day let him plug in

send me a recording

Question for guitarists

Post 20

I wasn't overly impressed with the PRS, nice guitars, but not for me. I got bro-in-law to take Grandad to the shop on the pretence of giving advice to nephew on buying his first guitar & he tried a couple as well but ended up playing an Ephiphone Les Paul smiley - evilgrin.

Today I went to our local branch of a well known music store where we know a couple of the guys that w**k there, got a couple of packs of Ernie Balls, 9's & 11's, some polish, some picks, a flight case.... oh, I got a Cherry Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Classic as well smiley - winkeye

Now I've got to find a box big enough to wrap it all up in smiley - yikes

Key: Complain about this post

Question for guitarists

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more